A fast sorting algorithm for VLSI
- 116 Downloads
An algorithm for sorting n elements in O(√n) steps is presented. Its simple structure and the fact that it needs local communication only make it suitable for an implementation by means of VLSI technology.
KeywordsSorting Algorithm VLSI Technology Network Sort Double Column VLSI Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ba]Batcher, K.E.: Sorting networks and their application. Proc. AFIPS 1968 SJCC, Vol. 32, AFIPS Press, Montvale, N.J., 307–314 (1968)Google Scholar
- [CM]Chazelle, B., Monier, L.: A model of computation for VLSI with related complexity results. Proc. 13th STOC, 318–325 (1981)Google Scholar
- [FK]Foster, M.J., Kung, H.T.: The design of special-purpose VLSI chips. IEEE Computer, 26–40 (1980)Google Scholar
- [Knuth]Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming Vol. 3: Sorting and Searching. Addison Wesley (1973)Google Scholar
- [KTh]Kung, H.T., Thompson, C.D.: Sorting on a mesh-connected parallel computer. Comm. ACM 20, 263–271 (1977)Google Scholar
- [MC]Mead, C., Conway, L.: Introduction to VLSI Systems. Addison Wesley (1980)Google Scholar
- [St]Stone, H.S.: Parallel processing with the perfect shuffle. IEEE Trans. Comput. C-20, 153–161 (1971)Google Scholar
- [Th]Thompson, C.D.: A complexity theory for VLSI. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh (1980)Google Scholar
- [vL]van Leeuwen, J.: Distributed computing. Technical report RUU-CS-82-8, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht (1982)Google Scholar