Computation times of NP sets of different densities
- 104 Downloads
In this paper we study the computational complexity of sets of different densities in NP. We show that the deterministic computation time for sets in NP can depend on their density if and only if there is a collapse or partial collapse of the corresponding higher nondeterministic and deterministic time bonded complexity classes. We show also that for NP sets of different densities there exist complete sets of the corresponding density under polynomial time Turing reductions. Finally, we show that these results can be interpreted as results about the complexity of theorem proving and proof presentation in axiomatized mathematical systems. This interpretation relates fundamental questions about the complexity of our intellectual tools to basic structural problems about P, NP, CoNP, and PSPACE, discussed in this paper.
KeywordsPolynomial Time Boolean Formula Peano Arithmetic Partial Collapse Intellectual Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A]L. Adleman, “Two Theorems on Random Polynomial Time”, IEEE-FOCS Symp. (1978), 75–83.Google Scholar
- [Be]P. Berman, “Relationship Between Density and Deterministic Complexity of NP-Complete Languages”, 5th ICALP, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 62, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1978), 63–71.Google Scholar
- [BH]L. Berman and J. Hartmanis, “On Isomorphism and Density of NP and Other Complete Sets”, SIAM J. on Computing (1977), 305–322.Google Scholar
- [Bo]R.V. Book, “Tally Languages and Complexity Classes”, Information and Control 26 (1974), 186–193.Google Scholar
- [BWX]R. Book, C. Wilson, and M. Xu, “Relativizing Time and Space”, IEEE-FOCS Symp. (1981), 254–259.Google Scholar
- [G]J. Gill, “Computational Complexity of Probabilistic Turing Machines”, SIAM J. on Computing 6 (1977), 675–695.Google Scholar
- [Ha]J. Hartmanis, “On Sparse Sets in NP-P”, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, TR82-508, August 1982.Google Scholar
- [HIS]J. Hartmanis, N. Immerman, and V. Sewelson, “Sparse Sets in NP-P: EXPTIME vs NEXP-TIME”, ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1983.Google Scholar
- [KL]R.M. Karp and R.J. Lipton, “Some Connections Between Nonuniform and Uniform Complexity Classes”, Proceedings 12th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (April 1980), 302–309.Google Scholar
- [Ma]S. Mahaney, “Sparse Complete Sets for NP: Solution of a Conjecture of Berman and Hartmanis”, Proceedings 21st IEEE Foundations of Computer Science Symposium (1980), 42–49.Google Scholar
- [S]V. Sewelson, private communication.Google Scholar