View maintenance in object-oriented databases
In this paper, we present a model that facilitates view maintenance within object-oriented databases. For that purpose, we differentiate between two categories of classes, base classes and brother classes. While the former constitute the actual database, the latter are introduced to hold virtual database, i.e., views derived from base classes. To achieve incremental view update, we introduce a modification list into each base class. A series of algorithms are developed to serve the purpose. Finally it happened that, view maintenance within object-oriented databases subsumes that within the nested and hence conventional relational models.
KeywordsAlgorithms Base Classes Modification Lists Object-Oriented Databases Views
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiteboul, S., Bonner, A.: Objects and Views. Proceedings of the ACM-SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.Alashqur, A., Su, S.Y., Lam, H.: OQL: A Query Language for Manipulating Object-Oriented Databases. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Very Large Databases. Amsterdam (August 1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Alhajj, R., Arkun, M.E.: A Query Model for Object-Oriented Database Systems. Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering. Vienna (April 1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Alhajj, R., Polat, F.: An Object-Oriented Query Model Enforcing Closure and Reusability. Journal of Mahtematical Modeling and Computing 6 (April 1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Alhajj, R., Polat, F.: Closure Maintenance in an Object-Oriented Query Model. Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. Maryland (November 1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Dayal, U.: Queries and Views in an Object-Oriented Data Model. Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Database Programming Languages (June 1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Gupta, A., Mumick, I., Subrahmanian, V.: Maintaining Views Incrementally. Proceedings of the ACM-SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. Washington D.C. (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Hanson, E.N.: A Performance Analysis of View Materialization Strategies. Proceedings of the ACM-SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (1987)Google Scholar
- 9.Heiler, S., Zdonik, S.B.: Object Views: Extending the vision. Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering. Los Algeles (February 1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Kifer, M., Kim, W., Sagiv, Y.: Querying Object-Oriented Databases. Proceedings of ACM-SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. San Diego CA (June 1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Rundensteiner, E.A.: A Methodology for Supporting Multiple Views in Object-Oriented Databases. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Very Large Databases. Vancouver BC (August 1992)Google Scholar