New optoelectronic devices
Enhancement of quantum effects in semiconductor quantum wells has led to a new generation of electro-optic devices. This enhancement is largely due to the small effective masses of the electrons in these materials and to the possibility to tune the optical resonances by band engineering. The field of application of these devices is mainly the optical computing and data processing (switching,...) as well as smart detectors. These properties should be even more pronounced when quantization will occur in other directions, in quantum wires and quantum boxes. Once technology will be mature, these latter will be real giant atoms exhibiting unprecedented electro-optic properties.
KeywordsSecond Harmonic Generation Quantum Well Interband Transition Stark Effect Intersubband Transition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Bastard, Wave mechanics applied to semiconductor heterostructures (Les Editions de Physique CNRS, Paris, 1988).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Loudon, The Quantum Theory of Light (Clarendon, Oxford, 1983).Google Scholar
- 3.C. Weisbuch and B. Vinter, Quantized Semiconductor Structures: Physics and Applications 1-252 (Academic Press, Boston, 1991).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Yariv, Quantum electronics (John Wiley & sons, New York, 1989).Google Scholar
- 5.K. L. Wang, S. K. Chun, and R. P. G. Karunasiri, in Intersubband Transitions in Quantum Wells E. Rosencher, B. Vinter, and B. Levine, eds. (Plenum, London, 1992) p. 227.Google Scholar
- 6.B. F. Levine, in Intersubband Transitions in Quantum Wells E. Rosencher, B. Vinter, and B. Levine, eds. (Plenum, London, 1992) p. 43.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu, and F. Laloë, Mêcanique Quantique (Hermann, Paris, 1973).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Mead and L. Conway, Introduction to VLSI sytems (Addison Wesley, Reading,Massachusetts, 1980).Google Scholar
- 10.D. A. B. Miller, Optical and Quantum Electronics (1990).Google Scholar
- 16.F. Capasso, C. Sirtori, D. Sivco, and A. Y. Cho, in Intersubband Transitions in Quantum Wells E. Rosencher, B. Vinter, and B. Levine, eds. (Plenum, London, 1992) p. 141.Google Scholar