Constrained independence system and triangulations of planar point sets
- 124 Downloads
We propose and study a new constrained independence system. We obtain a sequence of results, including a matching theorem for bases of the system and introducing a set of light elements which give a lower bound for the objective function of a minimization problem in the system. We then demonstrate that the set of triangulations of a planar point set can be modeled as constrained independence systems. The corresponding minimization problem in the system is the well-known minimum weight triangulation problem. Thus, we obtain two matching theorems for triangulations and a set of light edges (or light triangles) that give a lower bound for the minimum weight triangulation. We also prove directly a third matching theorem for triangulations. We show that the set of light edges is a superset of some subsets of edges of a minimum weight triangulation that were studied before.
KeywordsMinimization Problem Bipartite Graph Perfect Match Algorithm Greedy Greedy Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. Aichholzer, F. Aurenhammer, M. Taschwer, and G. Rote, Triangulations intersect nicely, in Proc. 11th Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Bollobás, Graph Theory. An Introductory Course, Springer-Verlag, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Cheng and Y. Xu, Approaching the largest β-skeleton within a minimum weight triangulation. Manuscript, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Edelsbrunner, Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry, Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Garey and D. Johnson, Computers and Intractability. A guide to the Theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Keil, Computing a subgraph of the minimum weight triangulation, Computational Geometry: Theory and Applications, 4 (1994), pp. 13–26.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Kirkpatrick and J. Radke, A framework for computational morphology, in Computational Geometry, G. Toussaint, ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1985, pp. 217–248.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Rote. personal communication.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Welsh, Matroid Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Xu, Minimum weight triangulation problem of a planar point set, PhD thesis, Institute of Applied Mathematics, Academia Sinica, Beijing, 1992.Google Scholar