A linear time algorithm for computing the shortest line segment from which a polygon is weakly externally visible
A simple polygon P is said to be weakly externally visible from a line segment if the line segment is outside P and if for every point x on the boundary of P there is a point y on the line segment such that the interior of the line segment xy does not intersect the interior of P. In this paper a linear time algorithm is proposed for computing the shortest line segment from which a simple polygon is weakly externally visible. This is done by a suitable generalization of a linear time algorithm which solves the same problem for a convex polygon.
KeywordsLine Segment Convex Hull Convex Polygon Linear Time Algorithm Simple Polygon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AB87]Atallah, M. and Bajaj, C., "Efficient algorithms for common transversals," Information Processing Letters, Vol. 25, pp.87–91, 1987.Google Scholar
- [AT81]Avis, D. and Toussaint, G.T., "An optimal algorithm for determining the visibility of a polygon from an edge," IEEE Transaction on Computers, Vol. C-30, No. 12, 1981, pp. 910–914.Google Scholar
- [AW87]Avis, D. and Wenger, R., "Algorithms for line stabbers in space," Proc. 3rd ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp.300–307, 1987.Google Scholar
- [BCETSU91]Bhattacharya, B., Czysowicz, J., Egyed, P., Toussaint, G., Stojmenovic, I. and Urrutia, J., "Computing shortest transversals of sets," Forthcoming Proc. 7th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1991.Google Scholar
- [BKT89]Bhattacharya, B.K., Kirkpatrick, D. and Toussaint, G.T., "Determining sector visibility of a polygon," Proc. 5th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp.247–254, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BT90]Bhattacharyya, B.K. and Toussaint, G.T., "Computing shortest transversals," Tech. Report SOCS 90.6, McGill University, April 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ed85]Edelsbrunner, H., "Finding transversals for sets of simple geometric figures," Theoretical Computer Science, Vol.35, pp.55–69, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Gr58]Grunbaum, B., "On common transversals," Arch. Math., Vol.9, pp. 465–469, 1958.Google Scholar
- [Ke88]Ke, Yan, "Detecting the weak visibility of a simple polygon and related problems," John Hopkins University, manuscript, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Le80]Lewis, T., "Two counter-examples concerning transversals for convex subsets of the plane," Geometriae Dedicata, Vol.9, pp. 461–465, 1980.Google Scholar