On computing the voronoi diagram for restricted planar figures
We show that the Voronoi diagram of a finite sequence of points in the plane which gives sorted order of the points with respect to two perpendicular directions can be computed in linear time. In contrast, we observe that the problem of computing the Voronoi diagram of a finite sequence of points in the plane which gives the sorted order of the points with respect to a single direction requires Ω(n log n) operations in the algebraic decision tree model. As a corollary from the first result, we show that the bounded Voronoi diagrams of simple n-vertex polygons which can be efficiently cut into the so called monotone histograms can be computed in o(n log n) time.
KeywordsConvex Hull Linear Time Binary Tree Voronoi Diagram Perpendicular Direction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AGSS]A. Aggarwal, L.J. Guibas, J. Saxe and P.W. Shor, A Linear-Time Algorithm for Computing the Voronoi Diagram of a Convex Polygon. Discrete and Computational Geometry 2 (1987), Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- [C]B. Chazelle, A Theorem on Polygon Cutting with Applications. Proc. 23rd IEEE FOCS Symposium, 1982.Google Scholar
- [C1]B. Chazelle, Triangulating a Simple Polygon in Linear Time. Proc. 31st IEEE FOCS Symposium, 1990.Google Scholar
- [E]H. Edelsbrunner, Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry. EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science 10, Springer Verlag, Berlin (1987).Google Scholar
- [F]S. Fortune, A Sweepline Algorithm for Voronoi Diagrams, Algorithmica 2(1987), pp. 153–174.Google Scholar
- [GS]L.J. Guibas and J. Stolfi, Primitives for the Manipulation of General Subdivisions and the Computation of Voronoi Diagrams. In ACM Trans. Graphics 4 (1985), 74–123.Google Scholar
- [LL]D.T. Lee and A. Lin, Generalized Delaunay Triangulations for Planar Graphs. In Discrete and Computational Geometry 1 (1986), Springer Verlag, pp. 201–217.Google Scholar
- [L]A. Lingas, On Partitioning Polygons. Proc. 1st ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Baltimore, 1985.Google Scholar
- [L1]A. Lingas, Voronoi Diagrams with Barriers and the Shortest Diagonal Problem. In Information Processing Letters 32(1989), pp. 191–198.Google Scholar
- [PS]F.P. Preparata and M.I. Shamos, Computational Geometry, An Introduction. Texts and Monographs in Theoretical Computer Science, Springer Verlag, New York (1985).Google Scholar
- [WS]C. Wang and L. Schubert, An Optimal Algorithm for Constructing the Delaunay Triangulation of a Set of Line Segments. In Proc. 3rd ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Waterloo, pp. 223–232, 1987.Google Scholar