Geographical database systems and statistical information
- 118 Downloads
Geographical data reveals a great need for cooperation between disciplines.
Computer Scientists and Geographers need to cooperate to develop conceptual models which recognise the special characteristics of geographical data and draw on the extensive work already undertaken on physical implementation. This is similar to the situation with statistical data, where progress is being made slowly. Statisticians have much to gain from using the geographical components of their data to greater effect, whether for better linking or for truly spatial analysis. Geographers will be particularly pleased if the latter happens, and they are also looking to Statisticians for better methods for linking data represented using fuzzy area concepts.
KeywordsGeographical Information System Geographical Information System Geographical Data Geographical Information System Software Birkbeck College
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ClKa87]Clayton, D. and Kaldor, J., 1987. Empirical Bayes estimates of age-standardised relative risks for use in disease mapping. Biometrics 43, 671.Google Scholar
- [DARi88]D'Atri, A. and Ricci, F.L., 1988. Interpretation of Statistical Queries to Relational Databases. IV SSDBM.Google Scholar
- [GaNT88]Gambosi, G., Nardelli, E. and Talamo, M., 1988. A conceptual model for the representation of statistical information in a geographical data model. IV SSDBM.Google Scholar
- [LaMi88]Laurini, R. and Milleret, F., 1988. Spatial Data Base Queries: relational algebra versus computational geometry. IV SSDBM.Google Scholar
- [OCWC87]Openshaw, S., Charlton, M., Wymer, C. and Craft, A.W., 1987. A Mark 1 Geographical Analysis Machine for the automated analysis of point data sets. Int. J. Geographical Information Systems, 1, 335.Google Scholar
- [RhOG88]Rhind, D., Openshaw, S. and Green, N., 1988. The analysis of Geographical Data: Data rich, Technology adequate, Theory poor. IV SSDBMGoogle Scholar
- [SeSh88]Segev, A, and Shoshani, A, 1988. The Representation of a Temporal Data Model in the Relational Environment. IV SSDBM.Google Scholar