GQL, a graphical query language for semantic databases
- 145 Downloads
GQL is a formal query language for graphically manipulating a semantic database. The language provides a set of pattern images and a set of simple rules for constructing pattern graphs. Users describe their queries by drawing pattern graphs against the graphical schema of the database. This paper describes various aspects of GQL: the underlying model, the pattern images and graphs, and the representation of operations. Implementational issues of a GQL interpreter and its relation to other query languages are also discussed.
Key wordsDatabase Query Language Data Model Database Schema Graphics Pattern Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Abit 84]Abiteboul, S. and Hull, R. "IFO: A Formal Semantic Database Model", Proc. ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, April, 1984, pp119–132.Google Scholar
- [Azmo 84]Azmoodeh, M. Lavington, S. H. and Standring, M. "The Semantic Binary Relationship Data Model of Information", 3rd BCS and ACM Symposium on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Cambridge, July, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Azmo 85]Azmoodeh, M. "BRMQ: A Data Base Interface Facility Based on Graph Traversals and Extended Relationship and Groups of Entities" CSM-78, Sept. 1985Google Scholar
- [Bryc 86]Bryce, D. and Hull, R. "SNAP: A Graphics-based Schema Manager (Extended Abstract)", IEEE International Conf. on Data Eng., Los Angeles, Feb. 1986.Google Scholar
- [Chen 76]Chen, P. "The Entity-Relationship Model — Toward a unified view of Data", ACM Trans. Database Syst. Vol.1, No.1, Mar. 1976, pp9–36.Google Scholar
- [Du 87]Du, H. and Azmoodeh, M. "A Graphical Query Facility for MFD Interface System" Internal Report, CSM-107, Oct. 1987.Google Scholar
- [Jian 85]Jiang, Y. J. and Lavington, S. H. "The Qualified Binary Relationship Model of Information", BNCOD-4, July, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Kenn 85]Kenneth, J. G. et al. "ISIS: Interface for a Semantic Information System", ACM, SIGMOD, Vol.14, No.4, Dec. 1985.Google Scholar
- [Reis 81]Reisner, P. "Human Factors Studies of Database Query Languages: A Survey and Assessment", Computing Surveys, Vol.13, No.1, March 1981, pp13–31.Google Scholar
- [Wong 82]Wong, H. and Kuo, I. "Graphical User Interface for Database Exploration", Proc. of 8th Inter. Conf. on VLDB, Mexico City, Sept. 1982.Google Scholar