A state-space approach for database redesign
Data conversion from an old version to a new version of a database is a critical task, whose results may have heavy impact on the existing set of application programs that manipulate the database. The ideal situation is one in which only exactly the stored data structures involved in a modification of data requirements should be adapted or recreated, and in which all still meaningful data is moved to the new stored data structures, with small computational effort (that is, in short time and with small additional storage space). This paper introduces an approach to the partial solution of this problem, using the State-Space Problem Solving approach from Artificial Intelligence.
KeywordsData Conversion Diagram Transformation Transformation Operation Minimal Computational Effort Store Data Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batini C, Ceri S, Navathe SB: Conceptual Database Design-an Entity-relationship Approach. Benjamin Cummings, Redwood City, CA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Casanova MA, Tucherman L, Laender AHF: On the design and maintenance of optimized relational representations of entity-relationship schemas. Data-& Knowledge Engineering 11 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.Chen PPP: The entity-relationship model — a basis for the enterprise view of data. National Computer Conference, 1977, pp 77–84.Google Scholar
- 5.Date CJ: An Introduction to Database Systems. Addison Wesley, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.Enderton HB: A Mathematical Introduction to Logic. Academic Press, New York, USA, 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.Gazola LG: A study and implementation of database-restructuring procedures. UFRGS, Bacharelado em CiÊncia da ComputacÃo, Trabalho de ConclusÃo, Porto Alegre, 1992 (in Portuguese).Google Scholar
- 8.Kowalski R: Logic for Problem Solving. North Holland, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.Nilsson NJ: Problem-solving Methods in Artificial Intelligence. McGraw-Hill, 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.Veloso PAS, Castilho JMV de, Furtado AL: Systematic Derivation of Complementary Specifications. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Very Large Databases, Cannes, France, 81.Google Scholar