Teaching software engineering for real-time design
- 146 Downloads
Designing software for real-time systems continues to be a challenge. In addition to functional requirements, real-time systems typically have strict requirements in the areas of performance, size, and the need for concurrency which complicates the design process[PRE87]. The best design will depend on the particular requirements of a system. A designer must learn to apply principles for determining which design will best fit the needs. Teaching students skills in real-time design becomes more difficult because of the many design issues. Although software engineering principles must be expanded to handle the complexity of real-time systems, these principles should still be applied to real-time design. Since TI develops many real-time systems, TI teaches an "Introduction to Real-Time Software" course to improve the design skills of novice real-time designers. This paper describes the content of the real-time course and how software engineering principles are applied to real-time design. It also describes how real-time design concepts are reinforced through examples and exercises.
KeywordsExternal Interface Software Requirement Specification Student Practice Interrupt Handling Software Development Lifecycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOO83]Booch, Grady, Software Engineering with Ada, Benjamin Cummings, 1983Google Scholar
- [BRO75]Brooks, Fredrick P., The Mythical Man-Month, Essays on Software Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1975Google Scholar
- [FAI85]Fairley, Richard E., Software Engineering Concepts, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1985Google Scholar
- [HAR88]Harless, Joe H., Job Aids Workshop, P.O. Box 1903, Newnan, GA 30364, Harless Performance Guild, Inc., 1988Google Scholar
- [HAT88]Hatley, Derek J, and Imtiaz A. Pirbhai, Strategies for Real-Time System Specification, Dorset House Publishing Co, Inc., 1988Google Scholar
- [MOO88]Moore, Freeman L., and Phillip R. Purvis, "Meeting the Training Needs of Practicing Software Engineers at Texas Instruments", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 327, Software Engineering Education, Springer-Verlag, 1988, pp. 32–44Google Scholar
- [MYE79]Myers, Glenford J., The Art of Software Testing, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1979Google Scholar
- [OGD78]Ogdin, Carol Anne, Microcomputer Design, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1987Google Scholar
- [PRE87]Pressman, Roger S., Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach, second edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc., 1987Google Scholar
- [WAR86]Ward, Paul T., and Stephen J. Mellor, Structured Development for Real-Time Systems, vols. 1–3, Prentice-Hall, 1985Google Scholar