Software engineering: Graduate-level courses for AFIT professional continuing education
- 131 Downloads
The Air Force has witnessed a shortage of qualified software engineering personnel, a dramatic increase in the use of software across all application areas, and an increasing complexity of systems subsequently requiring personnel to have higher software engineering skill levels. In addressing these issues, several Air Force commands worked with the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) in developing a non-command-specific continuing education program in software engineering. The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) assisted Air Force personnel and AFIT faculty and staff in defining the curriculum and course content, and developing five graduate-level courses in AFIT's Professional Continuing Education program. The overall effort extended over a period of several years, from initial definition to the delivery of the first course(s). This paper describes the background and results of this unique collaborative effort, which included AFIT, the SEI, and SEI resident affiliates.
KeywordsSoftware Engineering Software Engineer Distance Learning Subject Matter Expert Continue Education Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U.S. Air Force, Air Force Broad Area Review on Software Management: Findings and Recommendations, Dec. 19, 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.Air Force Institute of Technology, AFIT Catalog, 1989–91.Google Scholar
- 3.Software Engineering Institute, Quarterly Update 3Q90, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa., July–September 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.Software Engineering Institute, Technical Objectives and Plan (TO&P) for Collaborative AFIT Course Development #1-002.Google Scholar
- 5.Ardis, Mark and Ford, Gary, 1989 SEI Report on Graduate Software Engineering Education, CMU/SEI-89-TR-21, DTIC: ADA 219018. An updated report by Gary Ford is forthcoming: 1991 SEI Report on Graduate Software Engineering Education, CMU/SEI-91-TR-2 (DTIC number has not yet been assigned).Google Scholar
- 6.AFIT School of Engineering, Professional Continuing Education, Class Schedule for FY91.Google Scholar
- 7.Dedolph, F. Michael, "Course Development Workshop." Presentation given at the SEI Affiliates Symposium, Sept. 12, 1990, Pittsburgh, Pa.Google Scholar