Toward a new computing model for an open distributed environment
- 107 Downloads
This paper proposes a new computing model called computational field model, or CFM for short, for solving a problem in an object-oriented open distributed environment. In this model, we envisage an open-ended distributed environment as a continuous computational field. We introduce the notions of distance between objects and the mass of an object to the model. Thus, solving a problem can be seen as a mutual effect between the computational field and the problem.
KeywordsParallel Computing Mutual Effect Message Transmission Communication Delay Concurrent Programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Birman 85]Kenneth P. Birman. Replication and Fault-Tolerance in the ISIS System. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles, ACM, December 1985.Google Scholar
- [Carriero 89]Nicholas Carriero and David Gelernter. Linda in context. Communications of the ACM, Vol.32, No.4, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Hewitt 73]C. Hewitt, P. Bishop, and R. Steiger. A Universal Modular ACTOR Formalism for Artificial Intelligence. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, August 1973.Google Scholar
- [Hewitt 84]Carl Hewitt and Peter de Jong. Open Systems. In J. Mylopoulos and J. W. Schmidt M. L. Brodie, editors, On Conceptual Modeling, Springer-Verlag, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Li 86]Kai Li. Shared Virtual Memory on Loosely Coupled Multprocessors. Technical Report, Yale University, December 1986.Google Scholar
- [Tokoro 84]Mario Tokoro and Yutaka Ishikawa. Object-Oriented Approach to Knowledge Systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Fifth Generation Computer Systems 1984, November 1984.Google Scholar
- [Tokoro 88]Mario Tokoro. Issues in Object-Oriented Concurrent Computing. In Proceedings of 4th Conference of Japan Society for Software Science and Technology, September 1988. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- [Watari 90]Shigeru Watari, Ei-ichi Osawa, Yasuaki Honda, and Mike Reeve. Towards Music: A Description Language for the Muse Object Model. Technical Report SCSL-TM-90-001, Sony Computer Science Laboratory Inc., February 1990.Google Scholar
- [Yokote 86]Yasuhiko Yokote and Mario Tokoro. Design and Implementation of ConcurrentSmalltalk. In Proceedings of Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and Applications in 1986, ACM, September-October 1986.Google Scholar
- [Yokote 87]Yasuhiko Yokote and Mario Tokoro. Concurrent Programming in Concurrent-Smalltalk. In Akinori Yonezawa and Mario Tokoro, editors, Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming, pp.129–158, The MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Yokote 89]Yasuhiko Yokote, Fumio Teraoka, and Mario Tokoro. A Reflective Architecture for an Object-Oriented Distributed Operating System. In Proceedings of European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, July 1989. also appeared in SCSL-TR-89-001 of Sony Computer Science Laboratory Inc.Google Scholar