Randomized consensus in expected O(n2log n) operations
We consider asynchronous shared memory distributed systems, and investigate coordination problems in this model. We provide a waitfree randomized consensus protocol that requires an expected O(n2 log n) atomic operations.
KeywordsShared Memory Coordination Problem Consensus Problem Constant Probability Atomic Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A 88]K. Abrahamson, On achieving consensus using a shared memory, Proc. of the 7th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, August 1988, pp. 291–302.Google Scholar
- [A 90]J. Aspnes, Time and space-efficient randomized consensus, Proc. of the 9th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, August 1990, pp. 325–331.Google Scholar
- [AH 90]J. Aspnes and M. Herlihy, Fast randomized consensus using shared memory, Journal of algorithms, September 1990, pp. 441–461.Google Scholar
- [ADS 89]H. Attiya, D. Dolev, and N. Shavit, Bounded polynomial randomized consensus, Proc. of the 8th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, August 1989, pp. 281–294.Google Scholar
- [ALS 90]H. Attiya, N. Lynch, and N. Shavit, Are Wait-Free Algorithms Fast? Proc. of the 31st IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1990.Google Scholar
- [BR 90]G. Bracha and O. Rachman. Approximated Counters and Randomized Consensus. In Technical Report #662, Computer Science Department, Technion, Haifa, Israel. December 1990.Google Scholar
- [CIL 89]B. Chor, A. Israeli, and M. Li, On processor coordination using asynchronous hardware, Proc. of the 6th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, August 1987, pp. 86–97.Google Scholar
- [DDS 87]D. Dolev, C. Dwork, and L. Stockmeyer, On the minimal synchrony needed for distributed consensus, Journal of the ACM, Vol. 34, No 1, January 1987, pp. 77–97.Google Scholar
- [H 88]M. Herlihy, Wait Free Implementations of Concurrent Objects, Proc. of the 7th ACM Symp. on Principles of Distributed Computing, 1988, pp. 276–290.Google Scholar
- [L 86]L. Lamport, On interprocess communication, Distributed Computing 1,2, 1986, pp. 77–101.Google Scholar
- [LA 87]M. Loui and H. Abu-Amara, Memory requirements for agreement among unreliable asynchronous processes, Advances in Computing Research, Vol. 4, JAI Press, Inc., 1987, 163–183.Google Scholar
- [SSW 90]M. Saks, N. Shavit and H. Woll, Optimal time randomized consensus-making resilient algorithms fast in practice, Proc. 2nd ACM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, January 1991, pp. 351–362.Google Scholar