Comparison of Explicit Rate and Explicit Forward Congestion Indication Flow Control Schemes for ABR service
An adaptive end-to-end rate based congestion control scheme to support a class of best effort service known as Available Bit Rate Service (ABR) is being proposed by the ATM Forum. In this paper we investigate two variants of this control scheme: the Explicit Forward Congestion Indication (EFCI) scheme and the Explicit Rate (ER) scheme. We show that for EFCI based switches the performance of virtual channels traversing large number of hops in WANs can be substantially improved by giving priority to network transit traffic over traffic entering the network. The EFCI scheme with priority exhibits a robust behavior, and ensures fair share of the bandwidth for all VCs, regardless of the number of hops they traverse. The ER scheme however is very stable, even under extreme loading conditions, and ensures fair sharing of resources.
KeywordsOutput Port Virtual Channel Explicit Rate Congestion Control Scheme Allow Cell Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. D. Prycker, Asynchronous Transfer Mode: Solutions for BISDN. Ellis Horwood, New York, 1993.Google Scholar
- A. Kolarov and G. Ramamurthy, “Comparison of Congestion Control Schemes for ABR Service in ATM Local Area Networks,” in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM '94, San Francisco, CA, pp. 913–918, Dec. 1994.Google Scholar
- ATM Forum Traffic Management Specification Version 4.0, ABR Flow Control, Mar. 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Kolarov and G. Ramamurthy, “Evaluation of Congestion Control Schemes for ABR Services,” ATM Forum Technical Committee Meeting TMWG, Lake Tahoe, CA, Jan. 1994.Google Scholar
- G. Ramamurthy, A. Kolarov, C. Ikeda, and H. Suzuki, “Evaluation of Rate Based Congestion Control Schemes for ABR Service — Wide Area Networks,” ATM Forum Technical Committee Meeting TMWG, Munich, Germany, May 1994.Google Scholar
- A. Kolarov and G. Ramamurthy, “End-to-end Adaptive Rate Based Congestion Control Scheme for ABR Service in Wide Area ATM Networks,” in Proc. IEEE ICC '95, Seattle, WA, pp. 138–143, June 1995.Google Scholar
- G. Ramamurthy and B. Sengupta, “A Predictive Congestion Control Policy for High-Speed Wide Area Networks,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM '93, San Francisco, CA, pp. 1033–1041, May 1993.Google Scholar