A universal scaling principle for ATM based connectionless servers
The Direct Connectionless Service in B-ISDN makes use of servers to supply the datagram routing function. An economical service provision requires servers which are extendable. Therefore, a generic and universal scaling principle, that can be applied to the existing, non scalable servers is essential. This paper first determines the relevant properties of such a scaling principle. Following, a new modular approach is presented. The key component of the architecture is a Packet Distribution Unit, that forwards the incoming packets from the network to the appropriate server modules.
KeywordsOverlay Network Server Module Forwarding Table Aggregate Traffic Packet Stream
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ITU-T Study Group XVIII: Support of Broadband Connectionless Data Service on B-ISDN, Recommendation I.364, Helsinki, March 1993Google Scholar
- ITU-T Study Group I: Broadband Connectionless Data Bearer Service, Recommendation F.812, Geneva, August 1992Google Scholar
- ITU-T Study Group XVIII: B-ISDN Service Aspects, Recommendation I.211, Helsinki, March 1993Google Scholar
- Bellcore: Generic System Requirements in Support of Switched Multi-Megabit Data Service, Technical Reference, TR-TSV-000772, Issue 1, May 1991Google Scholar
- Bellcore: Switched Multi-Megabit Data Service Generic Requirements for Exchange Access and Intercompany Serving Arrangements, Technical Reference, TR-TSV-001060, Issue 1, December 1991Google Scholar
- ATM Forum SWG Drafting Group: LAN Emulation Over ATM: Draft Specification, LAN Emulation, ATM Forum 94-0035R2, Revision 2, 1994Google Scholar
- ATM Forum TMgmt Working Group: Traffic Management Specification Version 4.0, ABR Service, ATM Forum 95-0013-R3, 1995Google Scholar
- L. Chisvin et al.: Content-addressable and associative memory: alternatives to the ubiquitous RAM, IEEE Comp. Mag., July 1989, pp.51–64Google Scholar
- Christian M. Winkler: Connectionless Service in public ATM networks: scaling issues, Papers on ATM, Networks and LANs, EFOC&N'95, June 1995, pp. 106–109Google Scholar
- Brett J. Vickers et al.: Connectionless Service for Public ATM Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, August 1994, pp.34–42Google Scholar
- Masafumi Katoh et al.: A Network Architecture for ATM-Based Connectionless Data Services, IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E.76-B, No. 3, March 1993, pp. 237–248Google Scholar
- SIEMENS: EWSXpress Connectionless Server, Product Description, PROD REL1-1E, A2207-X9111-E-1-18Google Scholar