Cross-correlations in sparsely connected recurrent networks of spiking neurons
We study the dynamics of sparsely connected recurrent networks composed of excitatory and inhibitory integrate-and-fire (IF) neurons firing at low rates, and in particular cross-Correlations (CC) between spike times of pairs of neurons using both numerical simulations and a recent theory. CCs exhibit damped oscillations with a frequency which depends on synaptic time constants. Individual CCs are shown to depend weakly on synaptic connectivity. They depend more strongly on the firing rates of individual neurons.
KeywordsGlobal Activity Recurrent Network Oscillatory Limit Cycle Connection Probability Synaptic Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abeles, M.,: Corticonics, Cambridge University Press, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.Abeles, M., Bergman, H., Cat, I., Meilijson, I., Seidemann, E., Tishby, N., Vaadia, E.: Cortical activity flips among quasi-stationary states, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92 (1995) 8616Google Scholar
- 3.Amit, D.J.: Simulation in neurobiology — theory or experiment?, submitted. See http: //www.fiz.huji.ac.il/staff/acc/faculty/damita/papers.html.Google Scholar
- 4.Amit, D.J., Brunel, N.: Model of global spontaneous activity and local structured activity during delay periods in the cerebral cortex, Cerebral Cortex 7 (1997) 237–252Google Scholar
- 5.Amit, D.J., Brunel, N.: Dynamics of recurrent networks of spiking neurons before and following learning, to be published in Network. See http://www.lps.ens.fr/~brunel/publi.html.Google Scholar
- 6.Braitenberg, V., Schüz, A.: Anatomy of the cortex, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Brunel, N., Hakim, V., in preparation.Google Scholar
- 8.Fuster, J.: Memory in the cerebral cortex, MIT press (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Kreiter, A.K., Singer, W., Stimulus dependent synchronization of neuronal responses in the visual cortex of the awake macaque monkey, J. Neurosci., 16 (1996) 2381Google Scholar
- 10.Knight, B.W.: Dynamics of encoding in a population of neurons, J. Gen. Physiol., 59 (1972) 734Google Scholar
- 11.Mason, A., Nicoll, A., Stratford, K.: Synaptic transmission between individual pyramidal neurons of the rat visual cortex in vitro, J. Neurosci., 11 (1991) 72Google Scholar