GENIUS-CP: A generic single-vehicle routing algorithm
This paper describes the combination of a well-known tsp heuristic, genius, with a constraint programming model for routing problems. The result, genius-cp, is an efficient heuristic single-vehicle routing algorithm which is generic in the sense that it can solve problems from many different contexts, each with its particular type(s) of constraints. The heuristic quickly constructs high-quality solutions while the constraint model provides great flexibility as to the nature of the problem constraints involved by relieving that heuristic of all constraint satisfaction concerns. We show how those two components are integrated in a clean way with a well-defined, minimal interface. We also describe different routing problems on which this algorithm can be applied and evaluate its performance.
KeywordsTravel Salesman Problem Travel Salesman Problem Exact Algorithm Precedence Constraint Constraint Satisfaction Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CL95]Y. Caseau and F. Laburthe. Disjunctive Scheduling with Task Intervals. Technical Report 95-25, Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure, Departement de mathématiques et d'informatique, 45 rue d'Ulm, 75230 Paris Cedex 05, France, 1995.Google Scholar
- [DDGS95]Y. Dumas, J. Desrosiers, E. Gélinas, and M.M. Solomon. An Optimal Algorithm for the Traveling Salesman Problem with Time Windows. Operations Research, 43(2):367–371, 1995.Google Scholar
- [DDSS95]J. Desrosiers, Y. Dumas, M.M. Solomon, and F. Soumis. Time Constrained Routing and Scheduling. In M.O. Ball, T.L. Magnanti, C.L. Monma, and Nemhauser G.L., editors, Network Routing, volume 8 of Handbooks in Op erations Research and Management Science, pages 35–139. North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1995.Google Scholar
- [GGPS97]M. Gendreau, F. Guertin, J.-Y. Potvin, and R. Séguin. A Tabu Search Algorithm for a Vehicle Dispatching Problem. Working paper, 1997.Google Scholar
- [GHL92]M. Gendreau, A. Hertz, and G. Laporte. New Insertion and Postoptimization Procedures for the Traveling Salesman Problem. Operations Research, 40:1086–1094, 1992.Google Scholar
- [GHLS95]M. Gendreau, A. Hertz, G. Laporte, and M. Stan. A Generalized Insertion Heuristic for the Traveling Salesman Problem with Time Windows. Publication CRT-95-07, Centre de recherche sur les transports, Université de Montréal, Montréal, 1995. To appear in Operations Research.Google Scholar
- [ILO95]ILOG S.A., 12, Avenue Raspail, BP7, 94251 Gentilly Cedex, France. ILOG SOLVER: Object-oriented constraint programming, 1995.Google Scholar
- [PG96]G. Pesant and M. Gendreau. A View of Local Search in Constraint Programming. In Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming — CP96: Proceedings of the Second International Conference, volume 1118 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 353–366. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar
- [PGPR96]G. Pesant, M. Gendreau, J.-Y. Potvin, and J.-M. Rousseau. An Exact Constraint Logic Programming Algorithm for the Traveling Salesman Problem with Time Windows. Publication CRT-96-15, Centre de recherche sur les transports, Université de Montréal, Montreal, 1996. To appear in Transportation Science.Google Scholar
- [Sol87]M.M. Solomon. Algorithms for the Vehicle Routing and Scheduling Problem with Time Window Constraints. Operations Research, 35:254–265, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Wal'96]M. Wallace. Practical Applications of Constraint Programming. Constraints, 1:139–168, 1996.Google Scholar