A beam-tracing algorithm for prediction of indoor radio propagation
We describe a beam tracing algorithm that simulates radio propagation inside a building. With a triangulation-based spatial data structure, the algorithm is fast enough to provide propagation simulations for large buildings in a few minutes of computing time.
KeywordsSample Point Propagation Path Query Point Radio Propagation Horizontal Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. J. Fortune, D. M. Gay, B. W. Kernighan, O. Landron, R. A. Valenzuela, M. H. Wright, WISE design of indoor wireless systems: practical computation and optimization. IEEE Computational Science and Engineering, Spring 1995, pp. 58–68.Google Scholar
- 2.S. J. Fortune, Algorithms for prediction of indoor radio propagation, manuscript, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Held, J. Klosowski, J.S.B. Mitchell, Evaluation of collision detection methods for virtual reality fly-throughs, Proceedings 7th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, 1995, pp. 205–210.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Kreuzgruber, T. Bründl, W. Kuran, R. Gahleitner, Prediction of indoor radio propagation with the ray splitting model including edge diffraction and rough surfaces, Proceedings of the 1994 IEEE 44th Vehicular Technology Conference, IEEE, 1994, 878–882.Google Scholar
- 5.J.W. McKown, R.L. Hamilton, Jr. Ray tracing as design tool for radio networks, IEEE Network Magazine, Vol 5, pp. 27–30, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.J.D. Parsons, The Mobile Radio Propagation Channel, John Wiley and sons, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Rajkumar, B. Naylor, F. Fiesullin, L. Rogers, Predicting RF coverage in large environments using ray-beam tracing and partitioning tree represented geometry, Technical Memorandum, AT&T Bell Laboratories, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Ramo, J.R. Whinnery, T. Van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Takahashi, K. Ishida, H. Yoshiura, A. Nakagoshi, An evaluation point culling algorithm for radio propagation simulation based on the imaging method, Virginia Tech Fifth Symposium on Wireless Personal Communications, pp. 13.1–13.11, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.R. A. Valenzuela, A ray-tracing approach to predicting indoor wireless transmission, Proc. 1993 IEEE 43rd Vehicular Technology Conference, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 1993, pp. 214–218.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Watt, M. Watt, Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques: Theory and Practice, Addison-Wesley, 1992.Google Scholar