On some applications of computational geometry in manufacturing and virtual environments
There are many motivating applications for the study of computational geometry problems. In this talk, we briefly touch on two such application domains — manufacturing and virtual environments. We discuss a few of the applications-driven computational geometry problems in these domains and point to some possible future research directions that will assist in transferring algorithmic methods into practice.
KeywordsVirtual Environment Computational Geometry Collision Detection Fuse Deposition Modeling Interference Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Information Technology for Manufacturing: A Research Agenda,” National Academy Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Chazelle, et al., “Application Challenges to Computational Geometry”, Technical Report TR-521-96, Princeton University, April 1996; also available on the web at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/∼chazelle/taskforce/CGreport.psGoogle Scholar
- 3.M. Held, J. Klosowski, and J. S. B. Mitchell, “Evaluation of Collision Detection Methods for Virtual Reality Fly-Throughs”, In proceedings Seventh Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, Québec City, Québec, Canada, August 10–13, 1995, pp. 205–210. See http://ams.sunysb.edu/∼jsbm/jsbm.html for full version.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Klosowski, M. Held, J.S.B. Mitchell, “Collision Detection for Fly-Throughs in Virtual Environments”, Proc. Twelfth Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Video Proce edings, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Klosowski, M. Held, J.S.B. Mitchell, “Real-Time Collision Detection for Motion Simulation within Complex Evironments”, to appear, SIGGRAPH'96, Technical Notes.Google Scholar
- 6.Stucki, P., Bresenham, J., Earnshaw, R., Guest Editors. Rapid prototyping technology, Special issue of IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 15 (1995), 17–55.Google Scholar
- 7.Wozny, M.J., Regli, W.C., Guest Editors. Computer science in manufacturing, Special issue of Communications of the ACM 39 (1996), 33–85.Google Scholar
- 8.C. K. Yap, “Manufacturing and Computational Geometry Workshop Report”, Computational Science and Engineering, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995, pages 82–84.Google Scholar