Video data management in Media Controller: A distributed multimedia surveillance system
This paper describes a multimedia surveillance system, the Media Controller. The Media Controller is designed for industrial surveillance and monitoring applications, and it provides the realtime recording and retrieval of digital video data. Considering the characteristics of industrial surveillance applications, the distributed recording of video data is shown to be necessary for surveillance systems. A method of managing video data in Media Controller is also described. It can effectively manage surveillance video data which is continuous (realtime), distributed, temporal, and partial. We have implemented a prototype, which confirmed the effectiveness of the Media Controller system.
KeywordsSurveillance System Video Data Hard Disk Drive Medium Controller Disk Access
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Matsuda, et al., “Multimedia Systems for Industry — disk access —”, Proc. of the 1996 IEICE General Conf., D-331, pp. 119–120, 1996(in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Sato, et al., “Multimedia Systems for Industrial Surveillance”, Proc. of IS&T/SPIE's Electronic Imaging '97: Science and Technology(EI'97), Vol.3020, pp. 182–193, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.A. McLeod, “Digital Video Storage for Security Applications”, Proc. Int. Carnahan Conf. on Security Technology, IEEE, pp. 382–387, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Cattle, “The use of Digital CCTV in an Airport Car-Park Application”, Proc. Int. Carnahan Conf. Security Technology, IEEE, pp. 180–185, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.F. A. Tobagi, et al., “Star Works — A Video Applications Server”, Dig. Pap. COMPCON, Spring, pp. 4–11, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.I.Mizunuma, et al., “Real-Time Communication in Plant Monitoring/Controlling Systems with ATM Networks”, Proc. RTCSA'95, pp. 243–250, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Simakawa, et al., “Acquisition and Service of Temporal Data for Real-Time Plant Monitoring”, Proc.Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp. 112–119, Dec. 1993.Google Scholar