mTunnel: A multicast tunneling system with a user-based quality-of-service model
This paper presents a system, called mTunnel, for application level tunneling of multicast traffic in a lightweight manner, where the end-user is responsible for deciding which MBone-sessions and multicast groups to tunnel. mTunnel is primarily designed for easy deployment and easy-to-manage tunneling. Therefore it runs as an user application and does not need access to restricted system resources.
Information about currently tunneled sessions and control of mTunnel is provided through a Web-interface. To allow the user to easily start tunneling of announced MBone-sessions, mTunnel listens for announcements and presents this information through the Web-interface.
To save bandwidth, tunneled streams can be translated in four ways: audio streams can be recoded to an encoding that requires lower bandwidth, several audio streams can be mixed together, streams can be switched based on activity in another stream and streams can be scaled by dropping a certain percent of the traffic.
KeywordsMulticast Group Video Packet Audio Stream Multicast Session Multicast Packet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Deering. Internet Group Management Protocol — IGMP. IETF RFC1112.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Degermark, M. Engan, B. Nordgren, and S. Pink. Low-loss TCP/IP header compression for wireless networks. In Proceedings from MobiCom, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Degermark and S. Pink. Soft state header compression for wireless networks. In Proceedings from 6th International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV), 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Fenner. MRouted. 〈URL:ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/net-research/ipmulti/〉.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Handley. Session Announcement Protocol — SAP. work in progress.Google Scholar
- 6.V. Kumar. The MBone information web. 〈URL:http://www.mbone.com/〉.Google Scholar
- 7.NCSA. Common Gateway Interface — CGI. 〈URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/〉.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Parnes. The multicast Session Directory — mSD. 〈URL:http://www.cdt. luth.se/~peppar/progs/mSD/〉.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Parnes. The multicast Tunnel system — mTunnel. 〈URL:http://www.cdt. luth.se/~peppar/progs/mTunnel/〉.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Schulzrinne, S. Casner, R. Frederick, and V. Jacobson. RTP: A transport protocol for real-time applications. IETF RFC1889.Google Scholar