An Investigation of Raindrop Size in Raindrop Energy Harvesting Application via Photography and Image Processing Approach
- 1.7k Downloads
Renewable energy is gaining more attention as a new source of energy. Among all the renewable energies, kinetic energy is the most readily available energy source. One of potential kinetic energy to be utilized in energy harvesting is from the raindrop energy. The generated energy depends greatly on the size of raindrops. Therefore, it is important to study the raindrops characteristics prior for further investigation in the raindrop energy. This paper discusses the prediction of the size of raindrop based on simulated droplet using syringe pump. Edge detection segmentation method is applied to the image to detect the diameter of water droplet.
KeywordsRenewable energy sources Kinetic energy Raindrop characteristics
The authors would like to express sincere appreciation for Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), 203/PELECT/6071224.
- 2.Sodano HA, Inman DJ, Park G (2004) A review of power harvesting from vibration using piezoelectric materials. Smart Mater Struct 36(3):197--205Google Scholar
- 3.Vatansever D, Hadimani RL, Shah T, Siores E (2011) An investigation of energy harvesting from renewable sources with PVDF and PZT. Smart Mater Struct 20(5):055019Google Scholar
- 4.Guigon R, Chaillout JJ, Jager T, Despesse G (2008) Harvesting raindrop energy: experimental study. Smart Mater Struct 17(1):015039Google Scholar
- 5.Guigon R, Chaillout JJ, Jager T, Despesse G (2008) Harvesting raindrop energy: theory. Smart Mater Struct 17(1):015038Google Scholar
- 6.Al Ahmad M, Jabbour GE (2012) Electronically droplet energy harvesting using piezoelectric cantilevers. Electron Lett 48(11):647–649Google Scholar
- 9.Miao Y, Hong H, Kim H (2011) Size and angle filter based rain removal in video for outdoor surveillance systems. In: Control conference (ASCC), 8th Asian, pp 1300--1304Google Scholar
- 10.Bloemink HI, Lanzinger E (2003) Precipitation type from the Thies disdrometerGoogle Scholar