A Robust Fuzzy-Based Modified Median Filter for Fixed-Value Impulse Noise
- 1.7k Downloads
This paper describes the development of Fuzzy-based Modified Median (FMM) filter which uses a simple membership function for fuzzification of intensity values of the corrupted image using which noise detection is performed in the order of a 3 × 3 overlapping sliding window. If the central pixel of the window is found corrupted, this filter computes four different medians on its neighbourhood pixels using which the filter estimates the original value of the corrupted pixel. This filter has produced higher Peak Signal-to-Noise Ratio (PSNR) and Mean Structural Similarity Index Matrix (MSSIM) values comparable with other high performing median-based fixed-value impulse noise filters. The added advantage of the filter is its reduced computational speed and complexity. This filter provides denoising solutions to the application domains like Document Imaging, SEM and TEM images wherein the images are often corrupted with fixed-value impulse noise.
KeywordsImage restoration Median filter Noise detection Noise correction Highly corrupted image Fuzzy systems
Authors wish to place on record the financial assistance received in the form of a Major Research Project from UGC, New Delhi.
- 1.Satpathy SK, Panda S, Nagwanshi KK, Ardil C (2010) Image restoration in non-linearing domain using MDB approach. IJICE J 6(1):45–49Google Scholar
- 3.Forouzan AR, Araabi BN (2003) Iterative median filtering for restoration of images with impulsive noise. In: Proceedings of ICECS, vol 1. pp. 232–235Google Scholar
- 4.Abreu E, Mitra SK.(1995) A signal-dependent rank ordered mean (SD-ROM) filter-a new approach for removal of impulses from highly corrupted images. In: Proceedings of the ICASSP, vol 4. pp 2371–2374Google Scholar
- 8.Shanmugavadivu P Eliahim Jeevaraj PS (2011) Fixed—value impulse noise suppression for images using PDE based adaptive two-stage median filter, ICCCET-11 (IEEE Explore), pp 290–295Google Scholar
- 9.Shanmugavadivu P, Eliahim Jeevaraj PS (2012) Laplace equation-based adaptive median filter for highly corrupted images. In: International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics (ICCCI-2012), pp. 47–51Google Scholar
- 10.Shanmugavadivu P, Eliahim Jeevaraj PS (2011) Fixed-value impulse noise suppression for images using pde based adaptive two stage median filter. International Conference Computer, Communication and Electrical Technology, pp 290–295Google Scholar
- 12.Zhong-gui S, Jie C Guang-wu M (2008) An impulse noise image filter using fuzzy sets. In: International Symposiums on Information Processing (ISIP), pp 183–186Google Scholar