Robotic Arm Control Based on Human Arm Motion
- 1.8k Downloads
This paper discusses the development of a robotic arm whereby its motion is controlled based on the movements of the human arm. There are three major components in this project. They are a wearable control device, microcontroller and robotic arm. The wearable control device acts as a sensor to translate the physical movement of the human arm into electrical signals. The translated signals in the form of positional data are sent to the microcontroller unit for processing. The microcontroller unit processes the signals and outputs it to the robotic arm as physical replicated movements. The wearable control device is capable of sensing six degrees of freedom by the human arm joints movements. This includes rotation of the shoulder, arm, bending of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and gripping motion. The fabricated robotic arm is able to perform six different motions replicating and mimicking the motions of the human arm.
KeywordsRobotic arm Human wearable device
The authors would like to thank the Centre of Advanced Mechatronics and Robotics Application (CAMaRo), Universiti Tenaga National (UNITEN) for funding the project.
- 1.Kamaril Yusoff MA, Samin RE, Ibrahim BSK (2012) Wireless mobile robotic arm. In: International symposium on robotic and intelligent sensors, pp 1073–1078Google Scholar
- 2.Luo RC, Su KL (2003) A multi agent multi sensor based real-time sensory control system for intelligent security robot. In: IEEE international conference on robotics and automation, vol 2, pp 2394–2399Google Scholar
- 3.Schirmbeck EU, Haßelbeck C, Mayer H, Nágy I, Knoll A, Freyberger FKB, Popp M, Wildhirt SM, Lange R, Bauernschmitt R (2005) Evaluation of haptic in robotic heart surgery. In: Proceedings of the 19th international congress and exhibition on CARS 2005: computer assisted radiology and surgery, vol 128, pp 730–734Google Scholar
- 4.Crustcrawler Robotics Official Page. http://www.crustcrawler.com/products/AX-18F%20Smart%20Robotic%20Arm/images/smartarm%20016.jpg
- 5.The Arduino Official Webpage. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno
- 6.Cytron Technologies Official Webpage. http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=SC08A&name=8%20Channel%20Servo%20Controller