The Chinese enterprise, in recent past, has transformed itself from a commercial entity whose sphere of operation was almost exclusively confined to the Chinese domestic market to one with global aspirations and an increasing appetite for revenues from markets overseas. To feed that appetite Chinese companies have turned increasingly to foreign talent for support both in their corporate headquarters and in the local offices they have established around the world. To illustrate how Chinese companies employ and engage foreign staff, how they position those staff within the company’s organizational fabric, and how they envision the role that foreign staff play in overall corporate development, this chapter presents cases drawn from Chinese hi-tech industry because the companies it comprises have been among the most aggressive in entering markets outside of China and among the largest employers of foreign talent.
- Abkowitz, Alysa, “The Man Who Bets Tencent’s Moonshot Money” Wall Street Journal, February 8, 2018, https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-man-who-bets-tencents-moonshot-money-1518098400.
- Bradley, Diana, “Jim Wilkinson Exits Alibaba Group”, PRWeek, April 5, 2016.Google Scholar
- “China’s Internet Giants Go Global”, Economist, April 20, 2017.Google Scholar
- Clover, Charles “Low-Key Michael Evans Brings Goldman Connections to Alibaba”, Financial Times, August 7, 2015.Google Scholar
- Erisman, Porter, Alibaba’s World: How a Remarkable Chinese Company Is Changing the Face of Global Business, St. Martin’s Press, 2015.Google Scholar
- Faure, David. 2006. China and Capitalism: A History of Business Enterprise in Modern China. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.Google Scholar
- “Global 2000: Growth Champions”, Forbes, June 2018.Google Scholar
- Gray, Naomi, “A Look at Alibaba’s International Business”, MarketRealist (online), July 26, 2017, https://marketrealist.com/2017/07/a-look-at-alibabas-international-business/.
- Jiang, Sijia, “Tencent Turns to WeChat, Games and Deals for Global Strategy”, Reuters, November 20, 2017.Google Scholar
- Micheli, Jordy, and Carillo, Jorge, “The Globalization Strategy of a Chinese Multinational”, Frontera Norte, Vol. 28, No. 56, July–December 2016, pages 35–58.Google Scholar
- Sun, Leo, “Alibaba Is Expanding Its E-Commerce Platform into These 4 Markets”, Fool.com, September 1, 2018, https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/09/01/alibaba-is-expanding-its-e-commerce-platform-into.aspx.
- “Tencent Needs to See Market Gap Before Expanding Further Overseas, Says Executive” [interview with Tencent Senior Executive Vice-President, S. Y. Lau], South China Morning Post, June 22, 2018.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Yunan, “The Most Powerful American at Tencent Targets Silicon Valley”. The Information, November 3, 2016, https://www.theinformation.com/articles/the-most-powerful-american-in-tencent-targets-silicon-valley.