China’s Agro-Development Cooperation with Africa: The Innovative Agro-Aid Model
This chapter investigates the ‘innovative agro-aid model’ of Chinese development cooperation with Africa, particularly through examining the flagship project of Chinese Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centres (ATDCs) on the continent. It introduces the objectives, actors and mechanisms of the ATDCs, along with their general developments since 2006, and provides detailed case studies on two of the ATDCs, in Mozambique and South Africa, respectively. Based on the comparative case studies, the chapter gives a preliminary analysis as to the actual results of the ATDCs, especially around three key aspects of technology transfer, business introduction and project sustainability of the centres.
KeywordsInnovative agro-aid model Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centre/ATDC Mozambique South Africa Technology transfer Business introduction Project sustainability
- Bräutigam, Deborah. 2009. The Dragon’s Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cai, Lingming. 1992. ‘Woguo Dui Feizhou de Nongye Yuanzhu (China’s Agricultural Aid to Africa)’. Guoji Jingji Hezuo (International Economic Cooperation) 2: 43–44.Google Scholar
- CCTV.com. 2018. ‘Zhongfei Nongye Hezuo: “shouren Yiyu Buru Shouren yiyu” (China-South Africa Agricultural Cooperation: Teaching Others How to Fish Is Better Than Giving Them Fishes)’, 26 July. http://sannong.cctv.com/2018/07/26/ARTIzbS3iLbcbeSRBwCHQnxL180726.shtml.
- Chichava, Sérgio, Jimena Duran, and Lu Jiang. 2014. ‘The Chinese Agricultural Technology Demonstration Centre in Mozambique: A Story of a Gift’. In China and Mozambique: From Comrades to Capitalists (Alden and Chichava Eds.).Google Scholar
- Chichava, Sérgio, and Natalia Fingermann. 2015. ‘Chinese and Brazilian Agricultural Models in Mozambique. The Case of the Chinese Agricultural Technology Demonstration Centre and of the Brazilian ProALIMENTOS Programme’. China and Brazil in Africa Agriculture Project. Future Agricultures.Google Scholar
- CNADC (China National Agricultural Development Group Co. Ltd.). 2017. ‘Woguo Yuanzhu Nanfei Nongye Jishu Shifan Zhongxin Jishu Hezuoqi Xiangmu Shunli Yijiao (China-Aided South African ATDC Successfully Transferred to South Africa After the Technical Cooperation Stage)’. Zhongguo Nongfa (CNADC), 22 September. http://zgnfb.com/jqckj/news/9/37/111-1.shtml.
- FOCAC (Forum on China Africa Cooperation). 2006. ‘The Forum on China-Africa Cooperation Beijing Action Plan (2007–2009)’. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China, Beijing. https://www.focac.org/eng/zywx_1/zywj/t280369.htm.
- ———. 2009. ‘The Forum on China-Africa Cooperation Sharm El-Sheikh Action Plan (2010–2012)’. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China, Beijing. https://www.focac.org/eng/zywx_1/zywj/t626387.htm.
- Harding, Angela. 2014. ‘New and Interrelated Facets of Land Acquisition: The Case of the Chinese Investments in South Africa (Master’s thesis, Unpublished)’. University of Pretoria.Google Scholar
- Huang, Jikun. 2010. ‘Liushinian Zhongguo Nongye de Fazhan He Sanshinian Gaige Qiji (Sixty Years of Chinese Agricultural Development and Thirty Years of the Reform Miracle)’. Agro-Technology Economy (Nongye Jishu Jingji) 1: 4–18.Google Scholar
- MOC and MOA of the PRC (Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China). 2011. Guanyu Cujin Yuanfei Nongye Jishu Shifan Zhongxin Xiangmu Kechixu Fazhan de Zhidaoyijian (Guidance on Promoting the Sustainable Development of the Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centre Project in Africa).Google Scholar
- ———. 2012. Yuanfei Nongye Jishu Shifanzhong Xinjiance Pingjia Banfa (Shixing) (Supervision and Evaluation Measures of the Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centre in Africa [Under Trial]).Google Scholar
- Qin, Lu. 2016. ‘Yuanfei Nongye Jishu Shifan Zhongxin: Chengxiao, Wenti He Zhengce Jianyi (ATDC in Africa: Effectiveness, Problems and Policy Suggestions)’. Guoji Jingji Hezuo (International Economic Cooperation) 8. http://www.fecc.agri.cn/yjzx/yjzx_zxxx/201709/t20170901_295884.html.
- Shi, Lin, ed. 1989. Dangdai zhongguo de duiwai jingji hezuo (Foreign Economic Cooperation of Contemporary China). Beijing: Zhongguo shehui kexue chubanshe (China Social Science Press).Google Scholar
- State Council of the PRC (People’s Republic of China). 2011. ‘China’s Foreign Aid’. State Council of the People’s Republic of China. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2011-04/21/c_13839683.htm.
- Sun, Yihou. 1996. ‘Shilun yingxiang nongye yuanzhu xiangmu xiaoyi de zhuyao yinsu (Main Factors Affecting the Effectiveness of Agricultural Foreign Aid Projects)’. Guoji jingji hezuo (International Economic Cooperation) 7: 54–56.Google Scholar
- Tang, Lixia, Xiaoyun Li, and Gubo Qi. 2014. ‘Zhongguo Dui Feizhou Nongye Yuanzhu Guanli Moshi de Yanhua Yu Chengxiao (Evolution and Effectiveness of the Management Modalities of Chinese Agricultural Aid to Africa)’. Guoji Wenti Yanjiu (International Studies) 6: 29–40.Google Scholar
- Xu, Jifeng, and Lu Qin. 2011. ‘Zhongguo Yuanzhu Feizhou Nongye Jishu Shifan Zhongxin Kechixu Fazhan Jianyi (Suggestions on the Sustainable Development of Chinese Agriculture Technology Demonstration Centre in Africa)’. Shijie Nongye (World Agriculture) 12: 87–99.Google Scholar
- Yun, Wenju. 2000. ‘Cong guoji yuanzhu de fazhan kan zhongguo duifei nongye yuanzhu (The Development of International Aid and China’s Agricultural Aid to Africa)’. Xiya Feizhou (West Asia and Africa) 2: 17–23.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Xiaojun, and Xi Zhang. 2015. ‘Hubei Nongken Chengdan Haiwai Yuanzhu Xiangmu Jihaiwai Nongye Hezuo Kaifa Xiangmu Jianjie (Foreign Aid and Overseas Agricultural Exploitation Projects Undertaken by Hubei Bureau of State Farm and Land Reclamation)’. http://www.hubeifarm.com/hwkf/gzjl/3876.htm.
- Zhou, Jianjun, and Qiang Wang. 1997. ‘Xin Xingshi Xia Dui Feizhou Nongye Yuanzhu de Tantao (Agricultural Aid to Africa Under the New Circumstances)’. Guoji Jingji Hezuo (International Economic Cooperation) 3: 9–11.Google Scholar