The Value of Thoughtfulness?
- 184 Downloads
Should we estimate the value of a brand through financial valuation or the vaguer method of evaluation? To make a choice, we should first clarify one question—what is the true value of branding? This question is then deconstructed into a few other questions and answered: What are the characteristic functions of a company? What makes the difference between thoughtful homo psychologicus and the less thoughtful ones? What are the similarities and differences between the most popular valuation methodologies in the market?
- Aaker, D. (1991). Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Adamson, A. (2007). BrandSimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar
- Bort, J. (2017, January 26). 2 of Cisco’s biggest competitors quietly kicked it in the teeth this week. Business Insider. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/cisco-competitors-kicked-it-in-the-teeth-this-week-2017-1. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Chan, S. (2011, January 26). Dissenters fault report on crisis in finance. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/business/economy/27inquiry.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Colvin, G. (2018, May 24). What the hell happened at GE? Fortune. Retrieved from http://fortune.com/longform/ge-decline-what-the-hell-happened/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- D’Onfro, J. (2018, February 2). Here are all the businesses owned by Google’s parent company and how they contribute to revenue. CNBC. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/02/alphabet-business-units-revenue-contribution-and-ceos.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Egan, M. (2017, November 20). How decades of bad decisions broke GE. CNN. Retrieved from https://money.cnn.com/2017/11/20/investing/general-electric-immelt-what-went-wrong/index.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Farquhar, P. H. (1989). Managing brand equity. Marketing Research, 1(3), 24–33.Google Scholar
- Gara, A. (2017, May 23). Disney’s 1995 deal for ABC made Buffett billions by marrying Mickey Mouse with SportsCenter. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoinegara/2017/05/23/disneys-1995-deal-for-abc-made-buffett-billions-by-marrying-mickey-mouse-with-espn/#68ec6ee17ffd. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Greenberg, A. (2019, May 14). Meltdown redux: Intel flaw lets hackers siphon secrets from millions of PCs. Wired. Retrieved from https://www.wired.com/story/intel-mds-attack-speculative-execution-buffer/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Gryta, T., & Mann, T. (2018, December 14). GE powered the American century—Then it burned out. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from https://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-powered-the-american-centurythen-it-burned-out-11544796010. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Howarth, S., Jonker, J., Sluyterman, K., & Van Zanden, J. L. (2007). The History of Royal Dutch Shell. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- ISO 10668. (2010). Brand valuation—Requirements for monetary brand valuation. International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved from http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=46032. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Krugman, P. (2012, May 24). Egos and immorality. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/opinion/krugman-egos-and-immorality.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Kuznets, S. (1934). National income, 1929–1932: A report to the U.S. Senate. 73rd US Congress, 2d Session Senate Document, 124, 5–7.Google Scholar
- Kwaak, J. S. (2017, August 27). Samsung’s size could make it tough to keep its leader in prison. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/business/samsung-south-korea.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Loeb, W. (2012, December 5). IKEA is a world-wide wonder. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2012/12/05/ikea-is-a-world-wide-wonder/#268820aa27b9. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Newman, L. (2019, January 3). The elite Intel team still fighting Meltdown and Spectre. Wired. Retrieved from https://www.wired.com/story/intel-meltdown-spectre-storm/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Nowak, P. (2015, May 14). How McDonald’s has shaped the food biz. CBC. Retrieved from https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/how-mcdonald-s-has-shaped-the-food-biz-1.3074081. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Randewich, N., & Scott, A. (2018, June 20). General Electric loses place in elite Dow Jones Industrial Average. Reuters. Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-walgreens-boots-ge/general-electric-loses-place-in-elite-dow-jones-industrial-average-idUSKBN1JF359. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Riddle, D. (2011, September 28). The perils of leading like Steve Jobs. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccl/2011/09/28/the-perils-of-leading-like-steve-jobs/#3a5b146a7151. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Rosenberg, M., & Frenkel, S. (2018, March 18). Facebook’s role in data misuse sets off storms on two continents. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/us/cambridge-analytica-facebook-privacy-data.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Schlossberg, B. (2018, February 1). What to expect when Alphabet, FANG’s “true blue chip,” reports earnings. CNBC. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/what-to-expect-when-alphabet-fangs-true-blue-chip-reports-earnings.html. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Spence, E. (2019, January 14). 2019 iPhone hints suggest a lack of innovation. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2019/01/14/apple-iphone-new-leak-rumor-innovation-camera-boring-failure/#545cec492315. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Stiglitz, J. E., & Fitoussi, A. S. (2010). Mismeasuring Our Lives: Why GDP Doesn’t Add Up. New York: The New Press.Google Scholar
- Sutherland, B. (2018, December 31). GE’s new CEO turns the page on a horrible 2018. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ges-new-ceo-turns-the-page-on-a-horrible-2018/2018/12/31/37fa666a-0d05-11e9-8f0c-6f878a26288a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.00206e910c7b. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- Weinberger, M. (2018, December 2). Bill Gates says that HBO’s “Silicon Valley” is the best way to understand the real Silicon Valley: “They don’t make any more fun of us than we deserve”. Business Insider. Retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-hbo-silicon-valley-2018-11. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- https://brandfinance.com/knowledge-centre/reports/brand-finance-global-500-2019/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- https://www.interbrand.com/best-brands/best-global-brands/methodology/. Accessed 18 June 2019.
- http://www.millwardbrown.com/brandz/rankings-and-reports/top-global-brands/2015/methodology. Accessed 18 June 2019.