Introduction and Need for Maintenance in Transportation: A Way Towards Smart Maintenance
- 322 Downloads
A smart technology can sense its environment and perform tasks through complex non-conventional reasoning. This leads to subjective and fashionable classifications of technologies as “smart” or “not smart”. Undoubtedly, technologies such as vehicle cruise controllers could have been considered as smart in the past but are now too conventional to be considered as such (Santacana and Rackliffe in Power and Energy, 41–48, 2010). A smart parking technology using RFID technology to check in and check out vehicles (Pala and Inanç in Smart parking applications using RFID technology. 2007 1st Annual RFID Eurasia, 2007) is now very conventional. Complex reasoning is subjective to evaluate, and a general requirement is that smart technology should be able to perform its task which is thought to require human intelligence.
KeywordsMaintenance Artificial intelligence Transport systems Smart technologies Mobility
- Alom, M. Z., et al. (2018). The history began from AlexNet: A comprehensive survey on deep learning approaches. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition.Google Scholar
- Arranz, M. C., & Carlson, J. E. (2012). 3D synthetic aperture imaging using a water-jet coupled large-aperture single transducer. In 2014 IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, 1, 3. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.503714.prine.
- Bartsch-Spörl, B., Lenz, M., & Hübner, A. (1999). Case-based reasoning—Survey and future directions. In German Conference on Knowledge-Based Systems (pp. 67–89).Google Scholar
- Brown, A. K., & Lu, Y. (2004, September). Performance test results of an integrated GPS/MEMS inertial navigation package. In Proceedings of the 17th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation, ION GNSS 2004 (pp. 825–832).Google Scholar
- Dalal, N., & Triggs, W. (2004). Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition CVPR05, 1(3), 886–893. https://doi.org/10.1109/cvpr.2005.177.
- Deng, J., et al. (2009). Imagenet: A large-scale hierarchical image database. In CVPR 2009. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2009 (pp. 248–255).Google Scholar
- Devaney, M., et al. (2005). Preventing failures by mining maintenance logs with case-based reasoning. In Meeting of the Society for Machinery Failure Prevention Technology.Google Scholar
- Devi, M. P. A., Latha, T., & Sulochana, C. H. (2015). Iterative thresholding based image segmentation using 2D improved Otsu algorithm. In Global Conference on Communication Technologies, GCCT 2015. IEEE, (Gcct) (pp. 145–149). https://doi.org/10.1109/gcct.2015.7342641.
- El Najjar, M. E., & Bonnifait, P. (2003). A roadmap matching method for precise vehicle localization using belief theory and Kalman filtering. In Proceedings of ICAR03—The 11th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (pp. 1677–1682).Google Scholar
- Goh, C. Y., et al. (2012). Online map-matching based on hidden Markov model for real-time traffic sensing applications. In IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Proceedings, ITSC (pp. 776–781). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/itsc.2012.6338627.
- He, K., et al. (2016). Deep residual learning for image recognition. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (pp. 770–778).Google Scholar
- Kalman, R. E. (1960). A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems. In Control theory: Twenty-five seminal papers (1932–1981). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/9780470544334.ch9.
- Kim, W., Jee, G.-I., & Lee, J. G. (2000). Efficient use of digital road map in various positioning for ITS. In IEEE 2000. Position Location and Navigation Symposium (Cat. No. 00CH37062) (pp. 170–176). https://doi.org/10.1109/plans.2000.838299.
- Kretz, T., & Schreckenberg, M. (2007). Moore and more and symmetry. In N. Waldau, et al. (Eds.), Pedestrian and evacuation dynamics 2005 (pp. 297–308). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., & Hinton, G. E. (2012). ImageNet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS).Google Scholar
- Levinson, J., et al. (2011). Towards fully autonomous driving: Systems and algorithms. In IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Proceedings. IEEE (IV) (pp. 163–168). https://doi.org/10.1109/ivs.2011.5940562.
- Lin, C. L., & Su, C. Y. (2016, May). Modified unsharp masking detection using Otsu thresholding and Gray code. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (pp. 787–791). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/icit.2016.7474851.
- Machin, M., et al. (2018). On the use of artificial intelligence techniques in intelligent transportation systems. In 2018 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Workshops (WCNCW) (pp. 332–337). https://doi.org/10.1109/wcncw.2018.8369029.
- Moore, E. F. (1962). Machine models of self-reproduction. In Proceedings of Symposia in Applied Mathematics (pp. 17–33).Google Scholar
- Olwal, A., Gustafsson, J., & Lindfors, C. (2008). Spatial augmented reality on industrial CNC-machines (Vol. 6804, p. 680409). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.760960.
- Pala, Z., & Inanç, N. (2007). Smart parking applications using RFID technology. In 2007 1st Annual RFID Eurasia. https://doi.org/10.1109/rfideurasia.2007.4368108.
- Papageorgiou, C. P., Oren, M., & Poggio, T. (n.d.). A general framework for object detection. In Sixth International Conference on Computer Vision (IEEE Cat. No. 98CH36271) (pp. 555–562). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccv.1998.710772.
- Pyo, J. S., Shin, D.-H., & Sung, T.-K. (2001). Development of a map matching method using the multiple hypothesis technique. In ITSC 2001. 2001 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems. Proceedings (Cat. No. 01TH8585) (pp. 23–27). https://doi.org/10.1109/itsc.2001.948623.
- Rajashekar Reddy, P., Amarnadh, V., & Bhaskar, M. (2006). Evaluation of stopping criterion in contour tracing algorithms. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies, 3(3), 3888–3894.Google Scholar
- Reiners, D., et al. (1998). Augmented reality for construction tasks: Doorlock assembly. Proceedings of IEEE and ACM IWAR, 98(1), 31–46.Google Scholar
- Santacana, E., & Rackliffe, G. (2010). Getting smart. Power and Energy, 41–48.Google Scholar
- Schwabacher, M., & Goebel, K. (2007). A survey of artificial intelligence for prognostics.Google Scholar
- Shift, and Crossing-Accidents. (1998). Obstruction detector using ultrasonic sensors for upgrading the safety of a level crossing (Vol. 543, pp. 20–23).Google Scholar
- Syed, S., & Cannon, M. E. (2004). Fuzzy logic based-map matching algorithm for vehicle navigation system in urban canyons. In Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation (ION) National Technical Meeting (pp. 1–12). USA. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7410.2002.tb00124.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Szegedy, C., Liu, W., Jia, Y., Sermanet, P., Reed, S., Anguelov, D., et al. (2015). Going deeper with convolutions. In Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition.Google Scholar
- Wang, X., et al. (2008). Real-time radiographic non-destructive inspection for aircraft maintenance. In 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing (pp. 25–28), Shanghai, China, October 25–28, 2008.Google Scholar
- Wang, W., Duan, L., & Wang, Y. (2017). Fast image segmentation using two-dimensional Otsu based on estimation of distribution algorithm. Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering.Google Scholar
- Waters, C. D. J. (1992). Expert systems for vehicle scheduling. In Artificial intelligence in operational research (pp. 215–225). Springer.Google Scholar
- You, S., Krage, M., & Jalics, L. (2005). Overview of remote diagnosis and maintenance for automotive systems reprinted from: Vehicle diagnostics (SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1428) (724).Google Scholar
- Zeiler, M. D., & Fergus, R. (2014). Visualizing and understanding convolutional networks. In Lecture notes in computer science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics) (Vol. 8689, LNCS (PART 1), pp. 818–833). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10590-1_53.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, X., et al. (2018). Image-based comprehensive maintenance and inspection method for bridges using deep learning. In ASME 2018 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems (p. V002T05A017).Google Scholar
- Zhou, F., Dun, H. B. L., & Billinghurst, M. (2008, September). Trends in augmented reality tracking, interaction and display: A review of ten years of ISMAR. In Proceedings—7th IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2008, ISMAR 2008 (pp. 193–202). https://doi.org/10.1109/ismar.2008.4637362.