- 320 Downloads
This chapter aims to showcase the knowledge transfer from research into practice taking aviation as the case study. Aviation is well-known for its matured safety management systems and it is frequently used as the exemplar of the successful application of safety management across aviation activities. The application of the research is presented with respect to the enhancement of investigation and monitoring of safety incidents, the support of evidence-based safety risk assessment and the mitigation actions. These applications follow on the research in on a persistent safety issue in air traffic management that of the unauthorised entry of aircraft into controlled and restricted airspace.
KeywordsKnowledge Knowledge transfer Safety management Aviation
The research was partially funded by the Economic Social Research Council (ESRC) Impact Acceleration and the Lloyds Register Foundation (Grant name: Making the skies safer: Supporting General Aviation Pilots).
- Aerospace and Safety Initiative. (2019) Facts, stats and incidents: Latest infringement statistics [Online]. UK. Available: https://airspacesafety.com/facts-stats-and-incidents/ [Accessed 04/02/2019 2019].
- Civil Aviation Authority United Kingdom. (2016) Aircraft Register Statistics: UK registered aircraft by class and weight group, multi-year 1985–2016. Available from: https://www.caa.co.uk/Data-and-analysis/Aircraft-and-airworthiness/Datasets/Aircraft-register-statistics/ [Accessed 11/21 2016].
- Endsley, M. R. (2010). Situation awareness in aviation systems. In J. Wise, V. Hopkin, & D. Garland (Eds.), Handbook of Aviation Human Factors (2nd ed., pp. 1–12). USA: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- European Aviation Safety Agency. (2016) Licensing for General Aviation Pilots and Mechanics. Available from: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/general-aviation/licensing-general-aviation [Accessed 11/21 2016].
- General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA). (2018) 2017 Annual Report.Google Scholar
- Haynes, E., Kramer, D. M., Strahlendorf, P., Holness, D. L., Kushner, R. & Tenkate, T. (2018) A cross-Canada knowledge transfer and exchange workplace intervention targeting the adoption of sun safety programs and practices: Sun Safety at Work Canada. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753517308093.
- KC Surveys. (2017) Report on the COPA 2017 Membership Survey.Google Scholar
- Psyllou, E. (2017) Ph.D. Thesis Aviation Safety: A Framework to Analyse Airspace Infringements Involving General Aviation Flights. Imperial College London.Google Scholar
- Psyllou, E., & Majumdar, A. (2019). How do general aviation pilots choose their route when flying in complex airspace? The International Journal of Aerospace Psychology, 29(1–2), 17–27.Google Scholar
- Psyllou, E., Majumdar, A. & Ochieng, W. (2018a) Planning of general aviation pilots using interviews. In: Stanton, N. A. (Ed.), Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation. AHFE. 2017, Los Angeles, USA., p. 48. Springer, Cham.Google Scholar
- Psyllou, E., Majumdar, A. & Ochieng, W. (2018b) A review of navigation involving general aviation pilots flying under visual flight rules. Journal of Navigation, 71(5), 1130–1142. Available from: https://www.cambridge.org/core/article/review-of-navigation-involving-general-aviation-pilots-flying-under-visual-flight-rules/F10D6BCB61242EACB1ED4572659877FD. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1017/s0373463318000279. [Accessed 2018/10/03].CrossRefGoogle Scholar