Current Situation in the Study Area
Beijing is the capital of the People’s Republic of China. It is a typical city in which huge amount of sewage sludge discharged without treatment. Water shortage and water pollution has become key factors which limits Beijing socio-economic and environmental sustainability. In this chapter, the economic and environmental characteristics and the capacity of sewage and sewage sludge treatment in Beijing are presented. Based on the analysis of Beijing situation, it is necessary using a comprehensive simulation method to evaluate the environmental and economic impact of sewage sludge treatment.
KeywordsBeijing Economic development Water environment Sewage sludge treatment capacity
- Beijing Environmental Protection Bureau (2011) Beijing Environment Bulletin 2010 [EB/OL]: http://www.bjepb.gov.cn/portal0/tab181/, 3 June 2011 (in Chinese)
- Beijing Municipal Development and Reform Commission (2011) The Twelfth Five-Year Plan for the National Economic and Social Development of Beijing [EB/OL]: http://www.bjpc.gov.cn/fzgh_1/guihua/12_5/Picture_12_F_Y_P/, 21 Jan 2011
- Beijing Water Authority (2011) Beijing Water Resources Bulletin 2010 [EB/OL]: http://www.bjwater.gov.cn/tabid/207/Default.aspx, 8 March 2011 (in Chinese)
- Tan GD, Li WZ, He CL (2011) Preliminary discussions on the sludge treatment and disposal technology in urban municipal sewage treatment plants in Beijing. South to North Water Divers Water Sci Technol 9(2):105–109 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yang XP (2010) Status and ideas of the Beijing Municipal sludge disposal. Water Wastewater Inf 8:17–18 (in Chinese)Google Scholar