The Visual Field of Barbadian Elite Schooling: Towards Postcolonial Social Aesthetics
In this chapter, we explore schooling in the postcolonial context as a particular type of cultural artifact. Eschewing dominant qualitative research tendencies that privilege the word and the text over the visual and the physical, we argue that deeper complexities and nuances come to the fore when we focus on the visual fields, noting that the visual field is always a production enmeshed within a social context.
KeywordsCultural Artifact Visual Domain Colonial Past Elite School Visuality Visuality
- Appadurai, A. (2013). How histories make geographies: Circulation and context in a global perspective. In A. Appadurai (Eds.), The future as cultural fact: Essays on the global condition (pp. 61–70). New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Bakhtin, M. (1935). Discourse in the novel. http://www.rlwclarke.net/courses/LITS3304/2008-2009/07BBakhtinDiscourseintheNovel%28Overview%29.pdf. Accessed: 31 Dec 2013.
- Benjamin, W. (1968). Theses on the philosophy of history. Illuminations (pp. 253–264). Cambridge: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. (2008). The work of art in the age of its technological reproducibility, and other writings on Media. Cambridge: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Berger, J. (1972). Ways of seeing. London: BBC and Penguin.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, H. (1994a). The location of culture. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, H. (1994b). Sly civility. The location of culture (pp. 93–101). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1993). The field of cultural production. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Cifford, J. (1988). The predicament of culture. Cambridge: Harvard.Google Scholar
- Derrida, J. (1978). Writing and difference. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Harris, W. (1975). Companions of the day and night. London: Faber and Faber.Google Scholar
- Lefebvre, H. (1992). The production of space. New York: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Levi Strauss, D. (2003). Between the eyes: Essays on photography and politics. New York: Aperture.Google Scholar
- MacDougall, D. (2006). The corporeal image: Film, ethnography, and the senses. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Orwell, G. (2014). Shooting an elephant. http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/887/. Accessed: 31 Dec 2014.
- Williams, A. (1983). Night and the olmec (maya series). http://www.octobergallery.co.uk/art. Accessed: 31 Dec 2013.