The Restriction of Degree: Reform of Public School Management Models
- 966 Downloads
Since the reform and opening up policy in China, according to different social demands, the reform of public school management models has experienced different periods. Through the educational policy document analysis and interview study of the two periods of the reform of school management models in the city of Beijing, it is discovered that, during 1985–2005, the reform is characterized by “decentralization and public school system transformation”, introducing market mechanism, and since 2006, the reform has been featured by “cross-school organization,” aiming to achieve the equity of educational opportunities. It also found that in the future, while the local governments conduct the reform of public school management model, more attention should be paid to the timely policy adjust, the limits of expanding school running autonomy, and the balance between responsibility and power.
KeywordsPublic school Management models School autonomy
This study was supported by the Project to Improve Innovation Ability in Colleges and Universities Responsible to Beijing Municipal Education Committee (TJSHS201310028001).
We would like to thank the HKAECT 2014 International Program Committee reviewers for their suggestions in strengthening this article.
- Beijing Municipal Education Commission. (1996). Beijingshi jiaoyu weiyuanhui guanyu zhuanfa minbangongzhu gongbanminzhu putong zhongxiaoxue shoufei de han de tongzhi [Notice of Beijing Municipal Education Commission on the tuition fees of private schools supported by the government and public schools sponsored by individuals]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://www.eol.cn/20010101/19580.shtml
- Beijing Municipal Education Commission, etc. (2004). Opinions on managing the chaos of educational fees in Beijing. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://moral.bjedu.cn/bjedu/77975178587406336/20050829/9786.shtml
- Beijing Municipal Education Commission. (2007). Guanyu jinyibu shenhua zhongxiaoxue banxuetizhi gaige shidiangongzuo yijian de tongzhi [Opinions on the further deepening of the pilot work of school system reform]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://govfile.beijing.gov.cn/Govfile/front/content/22007039_0.html
- Beijing Municipal Government. (2011). Beijing zhongchangqi jiaoyugaigehafazhan guihuagangyao 2010–2020 [Beijing Middle and Long-term Education Reform and Development Plan (2010–2020)]. Retrieved March 8, 2014, from http://www.moe.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/s5520/201104/117401.html
- Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party. (1985). Guanyu jiaoyu tizhi gaige de jueding [The decision on reform of the educational system]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://www.moe.edu.cn/edoas/website18/18/info3318.htm
- Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party. (2013). Guanyu quanmian shenhua gaige ruogan zhongda wenti de jueding [Several major decisions on deepening reform]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://news.xinhuanet.com/mrdx/2013-11/16/c_132892941.html
- Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party and State Council. (1993). Zhongguo jiaoyu gaige he fazhan gangyao [The outline for educational reform and development]. Retrieved March 10, 2014, from http://www.moe.edu.cn/edoas/website18/34/info3334.htm
- Kang, Y. (2004). A review of research on contemporary public school system reform. Comparative Education Research, 11, 16–20.Google Scholar
- Lao, K. (2010). The problem of Chinese education is the problem of public school. Educational Research, 361(2), 15–21.Google Scholar
- The National Development and Reform Commission, the Ministry of Education. (2005). Guanyu zuohao qinglizhengdun gaizhixuexiao shoufei zhunbei gongzuo de tongzhi [Preparation notice to clean up the charges of system transformational schools]. Retrieved April 10, 2014, from http://www.moe.edu.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/moe_1147/200604/14529.html
- The National Medium and Long Term Program for Education Reform and Development Working Group Office. (2010). Guojia zhongchangqi jiaoyu gaige he fazhguihua gangyao. [The national medium and long term program for education reform and development (2010–2020)]. Retrieved April 10, 2014, from http://www.moe.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/A01_zcwj/201008/xxgk_93785.html
- The Standing Committee of the Tenth National People’s Congress. (2006). Zhonghuarenmin gongheguo yiwujiaoyu fa [Compulsory education law]. Retrieved April 10, 2014, from http://www.moe.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/moe/moe_619/200606/15687.html
- The State Council. (1994). Guanyu zhongguo jiaoyu gaige he fazhan gangyao de shishi yijian [Implementing opinions on “the outline for reform in education and development”]. Retrieved April 10, 2014, from http://law.lawtime.cn/d520976526070_2_p1.html
- Zhang, L. (2013). The bottleneck problems and solutions to China’s current reform of school system. The Journal of Chinese Education, 4, 14–16.Google Scholar