Acoustic Analysis of Voice of Temple Priests
- 415 Downloads
To investigate variations in acoustic measures across different tasks (reading, monologue, and chanting).
KeywordsVoice Non-elite voice users Vocal load Temple priests Acoustic analysis
The authors would like to thank all the participants who participated in the study. We also like to thank Director, All India Institute of Speech and Hearing—Mysuru, for providing us with sophisticated instruments to carry out the data collection and analysis part.
Participants of the study were included only after informed consent. The study protocol has been approved by the All India Institute of Speech and Hearing research committee on human research, Mysore, Karnataka, India.
- 1.Titze IR (1995) The utility of acoustic measures of voice quality. In: Proceedings of the workshop on acoustic voice analysis, University of Iowa, Iowa cityGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sataloff RT (2000) Professional voice users: the evaluation of voice disorders. Occupational Medicine (Philadelphia, Pa.) 4(16): 633–647Google Scholar
- 3.Prasad MG (2013) Oral tradition in Indian civilization. In Chapter 6, Perspectives on the origin of Indian civilization, New Delhi: Center for Indic Studies and D K PrintworldGoogle Scholar
- 4.Prasad MG, Rajavel B (2013) Acoustics of chants, conch-shells, bells and gongs in hindu worship spaces, M.S. Narayanan’s memorial lecture, New Delhi, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Raman CV (1922) The acoustical knowledge of the ancient Hindus. Ashutosha Mukherji Silver Jubilee 2:179–185Google Scholar
- 6.Mukhopadhyaya S (1999) Importance of sound in the tradition of vedic chanting. In: SC Malik (ed) Dhvani: nature and culture of sound, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 7.Prasad MG (2004) Mantras to music: acoustics in Hinduism. In: 147th Acoustical society of America Meeting, New York, USA, 2004. www.acoustics.org/press/147th/prasad.htm
- 8.Prasad MG (2010) On the role of acoustics in the Vedic Hindu tradition and philosophy. J Acoust Soc Am 3(1983):127Google Scholar
- 11.Huda Kasim N, D’souza JM VHI &VRQOL in temple Priests. Lang India 16(4)Google Scholar