Narayanpatna Movement in the Koraput District of Odisha
- 13 Downloads
Among the 30 districts of Odisha, Koraput being the tribal district placed within the Scheduled Areas of the Indian Constitution and remains in news for tribal insurrection either against the British government in colonial period or against the Indian state in the post-independence period. The core issue of the tribals, that is, land problem has not been solved after seven decades of India’s independence and the tribal land alienation in the district of Koraput is going to be precarious day by day. With this background, the chapter discusses about the Koraput district and its tribals and their socio, economic and cultural issues. It also focuses on the history of land administration and land alienation in the district. The chapter in detail analyses the Narayanpatna movement in Koraput district including different phases, causes and nature of the movement. It also critically examines the importance and impact of the movement and the nature of the state as far as Narayanpatna movement is concerned.
- Bannerjee, T. K. (1986). Girijan movements in Srikakulam: 1967–70’. In A. R. Desai (Ed.), Agrarian struggles in India after independence. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Behera, A. (2013, August 5). Maoists link in Odisha: Case of the chasi mulia adivasi sangh. New Delhi: Institute for Defence Studies & Analyses (IDSA). http://www.idsa.in/system/files/IB_MaoistsLinkinOdisha_ABehera.pdf. Accessed 9 October, 2019.
- Bell, R. C. S. (1945). Orissa district Gazetteer, Koraput. Cuttack: Orissa Government Press.Google Scholar
- Census 2011, Office of the Registrar (General and Census Commissioner), Indian Ministry of Home Affairs 2/A, Mansingh Road, New Delhi-110011. http://censusindia.gov.in/2011census/dchb/2129_PART_B_DCHB_KORAPUT.pdf. Accessed 18 August, 2019.
- Kar, A. (2012, November 30). The invincible flame of Narayanpatna: An interview with dandapani mohanty. Sanhati, (11) (online journal). http://sanhati.com/journal-2012/. Accessed 29 December, 2018.
- Koraput Survey and Settlement report (1956). Government of Orissa. https://indiacode.nic.in/Bitstream/123456789/5918/1/the_gunjam-koraput_survey%2C_record-ofright_and_settlement_operations.pdf. Accessed 22 June, 2019.
- Kuldeep, et al. (2011, April 27). Narayanpatna: A Report from Ground Zero’, a Fact Finding Report by DSU Fact-finding Team. http://www.countercurrents.org/Narayanpatna270411.htm. Accessed 27 July, 2018.
- Kumar, K., et al. (2005). A socio economic and legal study of scheduled tribes' land in Orissa. Bhubaneswar: Study Supported by World Bank, Washington. http://www.researchgate.net/publication/232062518_A_socioeconomic_and_legal_study_of_scheduled_tribes'_land_in_Orissa. Accessed 10 March, 2020.
- Mohanty, B., & Anuradha, K. (2009). Failure of non-violent methods responsible for Narayanpatna uprising. http://www.newsweb.co.in/news_article_en.php?article=1076. Accessed 8 June, 2018.
- Mohanty G., et al. (Eds.). (2008). Cultural heritage of odisha (Vol. XI). Koraput District, Bhubaneswar: SLVFMSS.Google Scholar
- Narayanpatna Block, Koraput District, Odisha. http://www.census2011.co.in/data/subdistrict/3204-narayanpatana-koraput-orissa.html. Accessed 22 September, 2019.
- Narayanpatna Firing and its aftermath. (2011, February 06). The new Indian express (p. 3).Google Scholar
- Navalakha Gautam. (2010, April 1). Days and nights in the heartland of rebellion, sanhati, (online journal). http://sanhati.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/navlakha_daysnights_v3.pdf. Accessed 22 August, 2019.
- Odisha State Archives, Orissa District Gazetteers. http://www.odishaarchives.nic.in/node/169213. Accessed 22 December, 2019.
- Orissa: Narayanpatna on the boil again over land grabbing. (2010, October 17). NDTV News. http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/orissa-narayanpatna-on-the-boil-again-over-land-grabbing/170018&cp. Accessed 22 June, 2016.
- Padel, F. (1995). The sacrifice of human being: British rule and the Kondhs of Orissa. Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Patnaik, K. S. (2009, September 25). Narayanpatna block in Orissa’s Koraput under control of Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh. Indian Vanguard. https://indianvanguard.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/narayanpatna-block-in-orissas-koraput-under-control-of-chasi-mulia-adivasi-sangh/. Accessed 12 January, 2019.
- Patra, D. (2011, December). The cultural history of the tribals of the koraput region. Orissa Review.Google Scholar
- Satyabrata (2009a, November 29). Odisha Bandh (Strike) against the police firing and killing of CMAS leaders. Sanhati. http://sanhati.com/narayanpatna/#1, http://sanhati.com/narayanpatna/#sthash.1LkGgc6p.dpuf. Accessed 22 October, 2018.
- Satyabrata (2009b, December 7). Odisha’s most wanted: On Nachika Linga, leader of the Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangha (CMAS)’, Sanhati (online Journal). http://sanhati.com/Narayanpatna/#4. Accessed 18 November, 2019.
- The Dharitri (2009, November 30). Daily Odia Newspaper (Bhubaneswar edition) (p. 1).Google Scholar
- The Dharitri (2014, October 29). Daily Odia Newspaper (Bhubaneswar edition) (p. 1).Google Scholar
- The Flames of Narayanpatna. (2010, December 22). Published by Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh (CMAS), Narayanpatana, Odisha, Foreword by Nachika Linga, and translated by Lenin Kumar (editor of Nishan). http://sanhati.com/excerpted/3115/. Accessed 8 February, 2018.
- The Flames of Narayanpatna, Orissa, report by International Campaign against War on the People in India (ICAWPI). http://www.icawpi.org/resistance/news1/965-the-flames-of-narayanpatna. Accessed 22 October, 2018.
- The Odisha Scheduled Areas Transfer of Immovable Property (OSATIP) (by Scheduled Tribes) Regulation (1956). http://www.igrodisha.gov.in/pdf/regulation2.pdf. Accessed 9 November, 2019.
- Tribes of Koraput. https://koraput.nic.in/tribes/. Accessed 21 December, 2019.