Land Alienation and the Politics of Tribal Exploitation in Odisha
- 14 Downloads
The chapter in its scope vividly examines the violation of land rights of the tribal people and major issues related to loss of tribal access to land in the state of Odisha. It discusses different forms of land alienation and critically analyses Odisha government’s policy target on land. The chapter also suggests some policy suggestions as far as tribal land alienation problem in the state is concerned followed by the conclusion.
- Ama Jami (my land). (2005). Society for Promoting Rural Education and Development (SPREAD) Report, Koraput. https://spread.org.in. Accessed 22 November, 2019.
- Ambagudia, J. (2010). Tribal rights, dispossession and the state in Odisha. Economic & Political Weekly, XLV(33), 14 August, 2010.Google Scholar
- Baseline Report on Restoration of Land to the Allottees of Ceiling Surplus and Government Wasteland (November, 2006). Study undertaken by RCDC with support from NIRD, Hyderabad in Koraput district of Orissa.Google Scholar
- Behura, N. K. (1982). Forest and tribal world view. Journal of Social Research, XXV(1).Google Scholar
- Behuria, N. C. (1965). Final report on the major settlement operation in Koraput District (1938–64), Cuttack: Orissa Govt. Press.Google Scholar
- CAD, Vol. III. https://www.constitutionofindia.net/constitution_assembly_debates/volume/3. Accessed 28 May, 2020.
- Dash S. N. (2001). A study of the problem of land alienation in tribal areas with special reference to the district of Koraput. Bhubaneswar: Utkal University.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K., et al. (2005). Scheduled Tribes’ Land in Odisha: A Socio-Economic and Legal Study. Bhubaneswar: Supported By World Bank, Washington. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.631.7926&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed 30 October, 2019.
- Kumar, K. et al. (2011). A Status of Adivasis/Indigenous Peoples Land Series–2. New Delhi: Aakar Books. http://theothermedia.in/downloadables/SAIP_Reports/SAIP_Land_Series_2_Orissa.pdf. Accessed 8 June, 2014.
- Land Rights and Ownership in Orissa (August 2008). Status Report, United Nations Development Programme. https://www.undp.org/content/dam/india/docs/land_rights_ownership_in_orissa.pdf. Accessed 22 October, 2019.
- Orissa Panchayati Raj Act. (1964). http://odishapanchayat.gov.in/English/download/ORISSA%GP%20ACT%201964.pdf. Accessed 22 December, 2019.
- Panigrahi, N. (1986). Men and mining in western Orissa. Study Report Submitted to Participatory Research in Asia (PRIA), New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Panigrahi, N. (2001). Impact of state policies on management of land resources in Tribal areas of Orissa. Man & Development, Vol. XXIII, No. 1.Google Scholar
- Pradhan, G., & Behera, S. (2007). Position Paper on Land Right Issues in Orissa.Google Scholar
- Report of the Expert Group on Prevention of Alienation of Tribal Land and its Restoration. (2006). Ministry of Rural Development. http://www.sakti.in/108-land-rights/tribal-alnd-rights/430-report-of-the-expert-group-on-prevention-of-alienation-of-tribal-land-and-its-restoration. Accessed 10 December, 2019.
- Report of the Panchayat Extension to Scheduled Areas Act 1996 (PESA). Enquiry Committee, Ministry of Panchayat, GOI (2006). https://www.undp.org/content/dam/india/docs/UNDP-Policy-Brief-on-PESA.pdf. Accessed 12 October, 2019.
- Report of the Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes Commission, Government of India, Volume I (2002–2004). http://www.tribal.nic.in/writereaddata/AnnualReport/BhuriaReportFinal.pdf. Accessed 10 October, 2019.
- Samatha vs. State of Andhra Pradesh. (1997). 8 SCC. www.samataindia.org.in/documents/SAMATA_EDIT1.PDF. Accessed 12 June, 2019.
- The Orissa Land Reform Act. (1960). http://revenueodisha.gov.in/sites/default/files/Acts_Rules/Acts/OLR_Act.pdf. Accessed 22 November, 2019.
- The Orissa Scheduled Areas Transfer of Immovable Property (By Scheduled Tribes) Regulation. (1956). http://revenueodisha.gov.in/sites/default/files/Acts_Rules/Acts/regulation2.pdf. Accessed 24 October, 2019.
- The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act. (2006). Ministry of Tribal affairs and Forestry, Government of India. http://tribal.nic.in/FRA/data/FRARulesBook.pdf. Accessed 21 November, 2019.
- The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Amendment Rules. (2012). https://www.fra.org.in/document/FRA%20Rule_2012_complied%20version.pdf. Accessed 21 November, 2019.
- The State of India’s Indigenous and Tribal People. (2009). Asian Indigenous & Tribal Peoples Network, 31st March. http://www.aitpn.org/publications/the-state-of-indias-indigenous-and-tribal-peoples-2009/. Accessed 14 September, 2019.
- Veigas, P. (1991). Encroached and enslaved: Alienation of Adivasi Land and its dynamics. New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.Google Scholar