Land and the Tribals of India: Problems and Prospects
- 14 Downloads
The chapter deals with the tribals and their social, economic and cultural relations with the land and also discusses tribal land problems in contemporary India. It reveals how the state policy remained responsible for tribal land alienation and in detail depicts the land alienation scenario in different states of India. Finally, the chapter tries to critically examine different tribal issues as far as tribal land alienation is concerned followed by the conclusion.
- Annual Report (2007–2008), Government of India, Ministry of Rural Development, pp. 1–291. https://rural.nic.in/sites/default/files/anualreport0708_eng.pdf. Accessed 12 November, 2019.
- Baseline Report on Restoration of Land to the Allottees of Ceiling Surplus and Government Wasteland (November, 2006). Study undertaken by RCDC with support from NIRD, Hyderabad in Koraput district of Orissa.Google Scholar
- Behura, N. K. (1982). Forest and tribal world view. Journal of Social Research, XXV (1), pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Draft National Land Reform Policy (2013). Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India, 24th July. https://www.slideshare.net/fundsforngos/draft-national-landreformspolicyjuly2013. Accessed 23 February, 2019.
- Government fails to stop grabbing of tribal land (2008). The Sentinel, 13 September, p. 10. https://www.sentinelassam.com. Accessed 12 February, 2019.
- http://rajbhavan-maharashtra.gov.in/rajbhavan/pdf/20_Act.pdf. Accessed 12 November, 2019.
- Kumar, K. et al. (2005). Scheduled tribes’ land in Odisha: A socio-economic and legal study. Bhubaneswar: Supported By World Bank, Washington. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232062518_A_socioeconomic_and_legal_study_of_scheduled_tribes'_land_in_Orissa. Accessed 30 October, 2019.
- Mohanty, B. B. (2001). Land distribution among scheduled castes and tribes. Economic and Political Weekly, 36(40), October 6–12, pp. 3857–3868.Google Scholar
- Philip, Veigas. (1991). Encroached and enslaved: Alienation of adivasi land and its dynamics. New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.Google Scholar
- Pradhan, G & Behera. S. (2007). Position paper on land right issues in Orissa.Google Scholar
- Report of the Expert Group on Prevention of Alienation of Tribal Land and its Restoration (2006). Ministry of Rural Development.Google Scholar
- Report of the High Level Committee on socio-economic, health and educational status of tribal communities of India, (May 2014). Ministry of Tribal Affairs Government of India. http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Tribal%20Committee%20Report,%20May-June%202014.pdf. Accessed 22 February, 2019.
- The Hindustan Times (Daily English Newspaper) (2007). 22 October, p. 8.Google Scholar
- The State of India’s Indigenous and Tribal People (2009). Asian Indigenous & Tribal Peoples Network, 31st March.Google Scholar
- The Times of India (Daily English Newspaper, Hyderabad Edition) (2008). 3 September, p. 6.Google Scholar
- Tribal land encroached by people of suspected nationalities (2008). The Sentinel, 6 May. http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/245398/tribal-land-encroached-by-people-of-suspected-nationalities/?page. Accessed 22 January, 2019.