Exploring President Rouhani’s Foreign Policy Doctrine 2013–2017
- 29 Downloads
In this chapter, President Hassan Rouhani’s conceptual approach to foreign policy will be studied. The purpose is to answer the question whether Rouhani ever succeeded to introduce and adopt a concrete foreign policy doctrine during his first term in office. We begin with a short comparison between Rouhani and previous presidents since 1989. Unlike the two presidents that preceded him, Rouhani does not believe or advocate any utopianist doctrine in his foreign policy. He seems to be a mere “pragmatist” politician who was elected to office with one, and only one, major mandate: to put an end to Iran’s decade-long nuclear dispute with the big powers. Rouhani’s foreign policy in his first term in office can be called a “project-based” foreign policy with the single aim of concluding Iran’s nuclear negotiations. It is then widely distinct from Ahmadinejad’s or Khatami’s “value-based” foreign policies with universalist agendas, albeit opposite ones. In following a pragmatic path, however, Rouhani falls short behind former President Rafsanjani, who used pragmatism as a quasi-revolutionary tool to push Iranian foreign policy forward as a whole. Despite having a strong conceptual basis, Rouhani’s motto of “constructive interaction with the world” hardly found any grounds for realization in Iran’s regional policy, and failed to bring about any major elevation in Iran–United States bilateral relations.
KeywordsHassan Rouhani Foreign policy doctrine Pragmatism Constructive Engagement Nuclear Deal
- “UN Security Council’s Resolutions on Iran.” August 2017. Arms Control Association. https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/Security-Council-Resolutions-on-Iran.
- Akbarzadeh, Shahram and Dara Conduit. Iran in the World; President Rouhani’s Foreign Policy. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.Google Scholar
- BBC News. “Hassan Rouhani wins Iran presidential election.” June 15, 2013. www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-22916174.
- Dragger, Richard and Terence Ball. Ideas and Ideologies; A Reader. Routledge, 2016.Google Scholar
- Heywood, Andrew. Political Ideologies; An Introduction. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, Jeffrey. “The Obama Doctrine.” The Atlantic, April, 2016. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/.
- New York Times. “Iranian Oil Minister Concedes Sanctions Have Hurt Exports.” January 7, 2013. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/world/middleeast/irans-oil-exports-and-sales-down-40-percent-official-admits.html.
- Osiewicz, Przemysław. “The Iranian foreign policy in the Persian Gulf region under the rule of President Hassan Rouhani: continuity or change.” Przegląd Strategiczny, Number 7, 2014. http://studiastrategiczne.amu.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/okladka-nr-7-2014.jpg.
- Ramazani, Rouhollah K. Independence without Freedom: Iran’s Foreign Policy. University of Virginia Press, 2013.Google Scholar
- Reuters. “Sanctions push Iran’s oil exports to lowest in decades.” June 5, 2013. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asia-iran-oil/sanctions-push-irans-oil-exports-to-lowest-in-decades-idUSBRE9540FV20130605.
- Rouhani, Hassan. “Barnameh-ye Dolat-e Tadbir va Omid.” Speech, Tehran, June 2013. Setad-e Entekhabati-ye Dr. Hassan Rouhani.Google Scholar
- Rouhani, Hassan. “Dr. Rouhani’s speech in a gathering convened by Asia Society and the Council on Foreign Relations.” Speech, New York, September 27, 2013. http://president.ir/en/71857.
- Rouhani, Hassan. “Peace and Development; Recreation of the World Order.” Speech, UN General Assembly, 2017. Office of the President website.Google Scholar
- Rouhani, Hassan. “President Rouhani addressing United Nations General Assembly.” Speech, New York, September 22, 2016. http://president.ir/en/95419.
- Rouhani, Hassan. “President Rouhani at ECO Summit: 21st century the century of Asia’s leadership.” Speech, Islamabad, March 1, 2017. http://president.ir/en/98040.
- Rouhani, Hassan. “President’s speech addressing the 44th World Economic Forum.” Speech, Davos, January 23, 2014. http://president.ir/en/74125.
- Saikal, Amin. “Iran and the Changing Regional Strategic Environment.” In Iran in the World; President Rouhani’s Foreign Policy, edited by Shahram Akbarzadeh and Dara Conduit, 28–29. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.Google Scholar
- Șandru, Daniel. “Ideology, Between the Concept and the Political Reality.” The Knowledge Based Society Project (Sfera Politicii nr. 169). http://www.sferapoliticii.ro/sfera/169/art09-Sandru.php.
- The Gatestone Institute. “The Collapse of Iran’s Rial.” February 21, 2013. https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3597/iran-rial-collpase.
- The Guardian. “Iran’s currency hits all-time low as western sanctions take their toll.” October 1, 2012.Google Scholar