Principal Causes of Corruption in the Public Construction Sector
The positive social image of the public construction sector has deteriorated because of a growing number of corrupt practices worldwide over the past decade, particularly in developing countries, which are the results of continual economic growth and rapid urbanization worldwide (Ehrlich and Lui 1999, Harboon and Heinrich 2011, Meon and Sekkat (2005), Mo 2001).
- Alam, M. S. (1989). Anatomy of Corruption: An Approach to the Political Economy of Underdevelopment. American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 48(4), 441–456. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1536-7150.1989.tb02132.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Allen, R. E. (1990). The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English (8th ed.). Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Appelbaum, D., & Lawton, S. (1990). Ethics and the Professions: Prentice-Hall. NJ: Englewood Cliffs.Google Scholar
- Brent, R. J. (2009). Cost-benefit analysis and the evaluation of the effects of corruption on public projects. In Handbook of research on cost-benefit analysis (pp. 388–413).Google Scholar
- Chan, A. P. C., Lam, P. T. I., Chan, D. W. M., Cheung, E., & Ke, Y. (2010). Critical success factors for PPPs in infrastructure developments: Chinese perspective. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 136(5), 484–494. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000152.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Jong, M., Henry, W. P., & Stansbury, N. (2009). Eliminating corruption in our engineering/construction industry. Leadership and Management in Engineering, 9(3), 105–111. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)1532-6748(2009)9:3(105).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dziuban, C. D., & Shirkey, E. C. (1974). When is a correlation matrix appropriate for factor analysis? Some decision rules. Psychological Bulletin, 81(6), 358.Google Scholar
- Guo, Z., & Yang, M. (2008). New standards of payment for the site supervisor and the corresponding strategies. Project Manage. (4), 46–47, 59.Google Scholar
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2010). Multivariate data analysis.: New Jersey: Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River.Google Scholar
- Haque, N. U., & Sahay, R. (1996). Do government wage cuts close budget deficits? Costs of corruption. Staff Papers-International Monetary Fund, 754–778.Google Scholar
- Harboon, D., & Heinrich, F. (2011). Bribe payers index 2011. Berlin, Germany: Transparency International.Google Scholar
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sinkovics, R. R. (2009) The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing. In: Vol. 20. Advances in International Marketing (pp. 277–319).Google Scholar
- Hon, C. K. H., Chan, A. P. C., & Yam, M. C. H. (2012). Empirical Study to Investigate the difficulties of implementing safety practices in the repair and maintenance sector in Hong Kong. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 138(7), 877–884. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000497.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hsueh, P.-R., Graybill, J. R., Playford, E. G., Watcharananan, S. P., Oh, M.-D., Ja’alam, K., et al. (2009). Consensus statement on the management of invasive candidiasis in Intensive Care Units in the Asia-Pacific Region. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 34(3), 205–209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2009.03.014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Le, Y., Zhang, B., Guan, X., & Li, Y. (2013). Collusion study of public investment projects based on SNA. Journal of Public Management, 10(3), 29–40.Google Scholar
- Le, Y., Shan, M., Chan, A. P. C., & Hu, Y. (2014). Overview of Corruption Research in Construction. Journal of management in engineering, 30(4). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)me.1943-5479.0000300.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Legal Daily, L. (2012). Corruption tricks in the construction sector, revealed by the prosecutors.Google Scholar
- Li, Y., Le, Y., B., Z., & Shan, M. (2013). The correlations among corruption severity, power and behavior features in construction industry: An empirical study based on 148 typical cases. Manage. Rev., 25(8), 21–31.Google Scholar
- Mohamed, S. (2002). Safety climate in construction site environments. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-Asce, 128(5), 375–384. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2002)128:5(375).
- National Bureau of Statistics of China, N. (2012). China Statistical Yearbook, 2012. Retrieved from http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/2012/indexch.htm.
- Neelankavil, J. P. (2002). International business corruption: A framework of causes, effects, and prescriptions. 28th European International Business Academy Conference, Athens.Google Scholar
- Ning, Y., & Ling, F. Y. Y. (2013). Reducing Hindrances to Adoption of Relational Behaviors in Public Construction Projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 139(11). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000745.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Norušis, M. J. (2008). SPSS 16.0 Advanced Statistical Procedures Companion.: New Jersey: Prentice Hall Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Ringle, C. M., Sarstedt, M., & Straub, D. W. (2012). A Critical Look at the Use of PLS-SEM in MIS Quarterly. Mis Quarterly, 36(1), III-XIV.Google Scholar
- Schein, E. H. (2006). Organizational culture and leadership,: third edition, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, C.A., U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Sohail, M., & Cavill, S. (2008). Accountability to prevent corruption in construction projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-Asce, 134(9), 729–738. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2008)134:9(729).
- Southern Metropolis Daily, S. (2013). The administrative authorizations in Guangdong may continue to be reduced in next month. Retrieved from http://epaper.oeeee.com/A/html/2013-11/26/content_1978414.htm.
- Tanzi, V., & Davoodi, H. (1998). Corruption, Public Investment, and Growth. H. Shibata and T. Ihori, eds., Springer Japan,, 41–60.Google Scholar
- Xinhua Net, X. (2011). More efforts will be imposed on the investigation of corruption in public construction sector in China. Retrieved from http://news.xinhuanet.com/legal/2011-05/17/c_121426891.htm.
- Xinhua Net, X. (2014). Irregularities in biddings of three gorges project: Nepotism, and waste of public money. Retrieved from http://news.xinhuanet.com/finance/2014-02/19/c_126159860.htm.
- Yang, M. M. H. (2016). Gifts, favors, and banquets: The art of social relationships in China.Google Scholar
- Zhao, X., Hwang, B. G., & Low, S. P. (2014). Investigating enterprise risk management maturity in construction firms. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 140(8). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000873.CrossRefGoogle Scholar