Optimization of Water Distribution Networks Using Cuckoo Search Algorithm
Optimization of water distribution network is one of the popular problems faced by hydrologists and water distribution designers. The nonlinear complexity involved in this problem makes it challenging for optimization. To solve this complexity, several researchers have studied various approaches involving numerous optimization techniques. This paper focuses on using one such approach involving a simulation and optimization models. The optimization technique used is Cuckoo Search (CS), and the simulation model is EPANET. This proposed model is tested for two water distribution network benchmark problems, namely two-loop network and Hanoi network. The obtained results when compared with previous studies show significant improvement.
KeywordsOptimization Cuckoo Search algorithm Water distribution networks
The authors acknowledge the financial support provided by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) through project No. 22/0723/17/EMR-II, dated May 16, 2017.
- 3.Eussuf, M.M., Lansey, K.E.: Optimization of water distribution networks design using shuffled frog leaping algorithm. J. Water Resour. Plan. Manag. 129, 210–225 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Fujiwara, O., Khang, D.B.: A two phase decomposition method for optimal design of looped water distribution networks. J. Water Resour. Res. 27, 985–986 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Vasan, A., Slobodan, P.: Simonovic: optimization of water distribution networks using differential evolution. J. Water Resour. Plan. Manag. 136(2), 279–287 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, X.S.: Nature-inspired metaheuristic algorithms. Luniver Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Center for water systems university of Exeter. http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/engineering/research/cws/resources/benchmarks/design-resiliance-pareto-fronts/medium-problems/
- 8.Liong, S.Y., Atiquzzaman, M.: Optimal design of water distribution network using shuffled complex evolution. J. Inst. Eng. 44(1), 93–107 (2004)Google Scholar