Design Optimization of Plate-Fin Heat Exchanger by Using Modified Jaya Algorithm
In the present paper, bi-objective optimization of plate-fin heat exchanger (PFHE) is considered. An advanced optimization algorithms called TLBO, Jaya algorithm (JA), and its modified version known as self-adaptive Jaya algorithms are applied for the design and optimization of PFHE. The minimization of cost and volume of PFHE is selected as an objective function and optimized both objective functions simultaneously. The outcomes achieved by TLBO, JA, and modified JA for considered optimization problems are found superior as compared to particle swarm optimization (PSO) and genetic algorithm (GA). In case of function evaluations, computational time and population size demanded by the modified JA are lesser than various algorithms. In case of combined objective function, the results found by TLBO, JA, and modified JA are 11.84% better in volume and 12.41% better in the total cost as associated with the outcomes using GA.
KeywordsPlate-fin heat exchanger Jaya algorithm Modified Jaya algorithm Bi-objective
- 1.Reneaume, J.M., Niclout, N.: MINLP optimization of plate-fin heat exchangers. Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q. 17, 65–76 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Yu, X.C., Cui, Z.Q.,Yu, Y.: Fuzzy optimal design of the plate-fin heat exchangers by particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, pp. 574–578, Jinan, China (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Turgut, O.E., Çoban, M.T.: Thermal design of spiral heat exchangers and heat pipes through global best algorithm. Heat. Mass. Trans. 1–18 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Rao, R.V.: Jaya: a simple and new optimization algorithm for solving constrained and unconstrained optimization problems. Int. J. Indus. Engg. Comput. 7(1), 19–34 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Rao, R.V., More, K.C., Coelho L.S., Mariani V.C.: Optimal design of the Stirling heat engine through improved Jaya algorithm. J. Renew. Sustain. Energ. 9, 033703 (2017)Google Scholar