Multi-objective Optimization of EDM Process Parameters Using Jaya Algorithm Combined with Grey Relational Analysis
Electrical discharge machining is a controlled machining process used to machine parts of complex geometry with high precision and low tolerance having many applications in various fields. Therefore, for effective utilization of available resources and to improve overall process performance, it calls for an optimization of EDM process parameters. In this study, tool wear rate (TWR) and material removal rate (MRR) are optimized for the three independent parameters such as magnetic field, pulse on time and gap current by using Jaya algorithm combined with grey relational analysis. From the grey relational grade, using regression analysis optimization model is developed and optimized using Jaya algorithm. The purpose of this work is to provide a platform to the researchers and manufacturing industries for determining the optimal setting of machining parameters involving multiple target responses. In general, this approach can be used for other manufacturing processes and even for other application fields.
KeywordsJaya algorithm Multi-objective optimization Grey relational analysis Electrical discharge machining Tool wear rate Material removal rate
- 1.Radhika, N., Chandran, G., Shivaram, P., Karthik, K.T.: Multi-objective optimization of EDM parameters using grey relation analysis. J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 10, 1–11 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Raghuraman, S., Thiruppathi, K., Panneerselvam, T., Santosh, S.: Optimization of edm parameters using taguchi method and grey relational analysis for mild steel is 2026. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Technol. 2(7), 3095–3104 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Ohdar, N.K., Jena, B.K., Sethi, S.K.: Optimization of EDM process parameters using taguchi method with copper electrode. Int. Res. J. Eng. Technol. (IRJET) 4, 2428–2431 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Kolahan, F., Golmezerji, R., Moghaddam, M.A.: Multi-objective optimization of turning process using grey relational analysis and simulated annealing algorithm. Appl. Mech. Mater. 110–116, 2926–2932 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.110-116.2926CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chinke, S.: Experimental investigation and modelling of productivity aspects in EDM of BeCu Alloys. M.Tech. Thesis, Symbiosis International University, Pune, pp. 1–55 (2015)Google Scholar