An Efficient Jaya Algorithm for Multi-objective Permutation Flow Shop Scheduling Problem
The Jaya algorithm is a novel, simple, and efficient meta-heuristic optimization technique and has received a successful application in the various fields of engineering and sciences. In the present paper, we apply the Jaya algorithm to permutation flow shop scheduling problem (PFSP) with the multi-objective of minimization of maximum completion time (makespan) and tardiness cost under due date constraints. PFSP is a well-known NP-hard and discrete combinatorial optimization problem. Firstly, to retrieve a job sequence, a random preference is allocated to each job in a permutation schedule. Secondly, a job preference vector is transformed into a job permutation vector by means of largest order value (LOV) rule. To deal with the multi-objective criteria, we apply a multi-attribute model (MAM) based on Apriori approach. The correctness of the Jaya algorithm is verified by comparing the results with the total enumeration method and simulated annealing (SA) algorithm. Computational results reveal that the proposed optimization technique is well efficient in solving multi-objective discrete combinatorial optimization problems such as the flow shop scheduling problem in the present study.
KeywordsJaya algorithm Permutation flow shop Multi-objective Multi-attribute model
- 1.Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G.: Machine scheduling problems : classification, complexity and computations. Nijhoff (1976)Google Scholar
- 8.Rao, R.V., Saroj, A.: Economic optimization of shell-and-tube heat exchanger using Jaya algorithm with maintenance consideration. Appl. Therm. Eng. 116, 473–487 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.01.071CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Rao, R.V., More, K.C., Taler, J., Ocłoń, P.: Dimensional optimization of a micro-channel heat sink using Jaya algorithm. Appl. Therm. Eng. 103, 572–582 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.APPLTHERMALENG.2016.04.135CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Radhika, S., Ch, S.R., Krishna, N., Karteeka Pavan, K.: Multi-objective optimization of master production scheduling problems using Jaya algorithm 1729–32 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Gao, K., Sadollah, A., Zhang, Y., Su, R.: Discrete Jaya algorithm for flexible job shop scheduling problem with new job insertion. In: 14th International Conference on Control Automation Robot Vis 13–5 (2016)Google Scholar