Mutation of Hybrid Regime and Quo Vadis Bangladesh
- 160 Downloads
In the concluding chapter, two questions are addressed: What is the pathway of a hybrid regime? What are the possible scenarios of Bangladeshi politics? The first has remained unexplored in the extant literature on hybrid regimes. This chapter argues that the hybrid regime has the possibility of mutating into an authoritarian system of governance. As for the future of Bangladeshi politics, two scenarios are considered: further sliding toward authoritarian with the hollowing of institutions like elections or restraint of the incumbent’s penchant for coercion as the mode of governance and striving for national reconciliation and unity.
KeywordsResilience Mutation Authoritarianism Reconciliation
- Dhaka Tribune. 2018. PM Sheikh Hasina branded as ‘Mother of Qawmi’. November 04. Accessed May 07, 2019. https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/dhaka/2018/11/04/pm-hasina-lauded-as-mother-of-qawmi.
- Freedom House. 2019. Democracy in Retreat, Freedom In The World 2019. February 05. Accessed February 09, 2019. https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2019.
- Hasan, Mubashar, and Arild Engelsen Ruud. 2019. The Geopolitics of the 2018 Parliamentary Elections in Bangladesh. February 6. Accessed February 6, 2019. https://www.e-ir.info/2019/02/06/the-geopolitics-of-the-2018-parliamentary-elections-in-bangladesh/?fbclid=IwAR1SJoyFdBdReYrtQfpJyKkW1NQ-DbWBx2exR_6UKZB_SjvPTwfYBI9omxA.
- Rahman, Hossain Zillur. 2019. A ‘New Normal’? March 3. Accessed March 3, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/opinion/governance/news/new-normal-1709551.
- Robertson, Graeme B. 2010. The Politics of Protest in Hybrid Regimes: Managing Dissent in Post-Communist Russia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Strategic Forecast. 2016. Bangladesh’s Descent into Authoritarianism. May 31. Accessed March 15, 2018. https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/bangladeshs-descent-authoritarianism.