Election Results: A Victory Too Big to Believe?
- 158 Downloads
The election not only delivered a landslide victory to the incumbent Bangladesh Awami League with 96% of the seats but also produced unbelievable results at the constituency level. In 51 out of 300 seats, more than 80% of the popular votes were secured by the candidates of the ruling party alliance. This chapter analyzes the results, compares them with two previously inclusive elections in 2001 and 2008, shows the trend and pattern of voting, and explains the incredulity of the loss of the opposition, particularly the BNP. The chapter also shows the discrepancies between the constituencies which used electronic voting machines (EVM) and elsewhere.
KeywordsVoting pattern Two-party system EVM Trendline
- Dhaka Tribune. 2018. Survey predicts 248 seats for Grand Alliance, 49 for Oikya Front. December 26. Accessed January 1, 2019. https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/election/2018/12/26/rdc-survey-predicts-248-seats-for-grand-alliance-49-for-oikya-front.
- Mahmud, Faisal. 2018. Bangladesh politics divided over election use of EVMs. November 13. Accessed January 3, 2019. https://www.asiatimes.com/2018/11/article/bangladesh-political-parties-divided-over-polls-use-of-evms/.
- Prothom Alo. 2018. RDC survey financed by Salman F Rahman’s institutions. December 28. Accessed December 29, 2018. https://en.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/news/188798/RDC-survey-financed-by-Salman-F-Rahman%E2%80%99s.
- Riaz, Ali. 2018. EVM: A Pointless Debate. September 02. Accessed January 14, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/news/opinion/black-white-grey/evm-pointless-debate-1627648.
- Slater, Joanna, and Azad Majumder. 2018. Why Bangladesh’s landslide election result is bad for its democracy. December 31. Accessed January 12, 2019. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2018/12/31/why-bangladeshs-landslide-election-result-is-bad-its-democracy/?utm_term=.96578871f2b3.
- The Daily Star. 2018. EVM proves prone to abuse. December 31. Accessed January 1, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/evm-use-electronic-voting-machine-showing-problems-slowing-down-polling-1680712.