The Election Day: Fear, Exclusion, and Persecution Come Together
- 163 Downloads
Blatant rigging, although one of the riskiest strategies, has remained one of the most effective manipulating mechanisms among non-democratic regimes around the world. This was on full display in the 2018 Bangladesh election. This chapter, drawing on press reports and personal narratives of journalists and polling agents of different political parties, has documented the events of election day, December 30, 2018. The scenes of day included absence of opposition activists on the streets, and the barring of polling agents from entering the poling centers. The Election Commission, well before the election, delayed permission to the international observers, practically ensuring no monitoring. The chapter provides a case study of one seat where the pre-election and election day manipulation strategies came together.
KeywordsObservers Polling agents Ballot stuffing Media
- Alamgir, Mohiuddin. 2018a. Foreign observers now even fewer. December 23. Accessed January 7, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/news/us-disappointed-over-govts-inability-grant-credentials-intl-election-monitors-1677271.
- Alamgir, Mohiuddin. 2018b. Now local observers even fewer. December 28. Accessed January 11, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/news/now-local-observers-even-fewer-1679902.
- Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL). 2018a. Anfrel Statement On The Termination Of Its Mission in Bangladesh. December 23. Accessed December 24, 2019. https://anfrel.org/anfrel-statement-on-the-termination-of-its-mission-in-bangladesh/.
- Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL). 2018b. The 2018 Cambodian Elections: Nothing But A Charade. August 02. Accessed November 05, 2018. https://anfrel.org/the-2018-cambodian-elections-nothing-but-a-charade/.
- Cheeseman, Nicholas, and Brian Klaas. 2018. How to Rig an Election. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Islam, Zyma. 2019. Where Were all the Missing Polling Agents? January 05. Accessed January 06, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/star-weekend/spotlight/news/where-were-all-the-missing-polling-agents-1682731.
- Jahan, Trisha. 2019. Bangladesh govt slows down internet around elections, restored after. January 02. Accessed January 02, 2019. https://www.medianama.com/2019/01/223-bangladesh-govt-internet-elections/.
- Malik, Shahdeen. 2018. Wrong Interpretation of the Election Commission (in Bengali). December 04. Accessed December 04, 2018. https://www.prothomalo.com/opinion/article/1568272/%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%9A%E0%A6%A8-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%AE%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B6%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%96%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%.
- Norris, Pippa, Richard W. Frank, and Ferran Martínez I Coma. 2015. Contentious Elections: From Ballots to Barricades. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Nowshin, Nahela. 2018. Unjustified restrictions on media and observers. December 28. Accessed January 11, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/opinion/politics/news/unjustified-restrictions-media-and-observers-1679668.
- Palma, Porimol, and Bulbul Ahmed. 2018. 14 agents of BNP candidates detained. December 30. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/news/police-pick-11-agents-natore-bnp-candidates-1680649.
- Quadir, Serajul, and Krishna N. Das. 2018. Bangladesh says foreign election observers welcome, rejects U.S. criticism. December 23. Accessed January 18, 2019. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bangladesh-election/bangladesh-says-foreign-election-observers-welcome-rejects-u-s-criticism-idUSKCN1OM0HJ.
- Siddiqui, Zeba, and Ruma Paul. 2019. Some in Bangladesh election observer group said they regretted involvement. January 22. Accessed January 22, 2019. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bangladesh-election-observers-exclusi/exclusive-some-in-bangladesh-election-observer-group-say-they-now-regret-involvement-idUSKCN1PG0MA?fbclid=IwAR3dtSBxZmQKHUT8_fsisHCdIJsUdI2FpGa0kthgXblLz3rMX6-Njky8bnI.
- Simpser, Alberto. 2014. Why Government and Parties Manipulate Elections: Theory, Practice, and Implications. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- The Daily Star. 2018a. ‘Saw no opposition agents at centres’. December 30. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/saw-no-bnp-polling-agents-at-dhaka-centres-ec-mahbub-talukder-1680718.
- The Daily Star. 2018b. A team work! December 31. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/team-work-11th-general-election-2018-1681009.
- The Daily Star. 2018c. As we saw. December 31. Accessed February 08, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/snapshots-of-bangladesh-election-day-2018-as-we-saw-1681003.
- The Daily Star. 2018d. Election was peaceful. December 31. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/bangladesh-election-things-are-going-smoothly-foreign-observers-1680748.
- The Daily Star. 2018e. No observer this time from European Parliament. November 29. Accessed January 26, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/politics/news/european-parliament-not-observe-bangladesh-election-1666279.
- The Daily Star. 2019a. Polls anomalies in 47 of 50 seats. January 16. Accessed January 16, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/bangladesh-election-2018-irregularities-47-out-50-seats-tib-1687840.
- The Daily Star. 2018f. Tearful Salma quits race. December 31. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangladesh-national-election-2018/tearful-salma-islam-dhaka-1-independent-candidate-quits-race-1681069.
- The Daily Star. 2019b. The Saga of Two Election Monitoring Organizations (in Bengali). January 08. Accessed January 09, 2019. https://www.thedailystar.net/bangla/%E0%A6%B6%E0%A7%80%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B7-%E0%A6%96%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%B0/%E0%A6%A6%E0%A7%81%E0%A6%9F%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%9A%E0%A6%A8-%E0%A6%AA%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A.
- The Wire. 2018. Bangladesh’s Restriction on Observers and Media Raises Concerns Before Elections. December 28. Accessed January 21, 2019. https://thewire.in/south-asia/bangladesh-elections-restrictions-media-observers.
- Zakaria, A. K. M. 2018. Not Even One Day’s Festivity (in Bengali). December 31. Accessed December 31, 2018. https://www.prothomalo.com/opinion/article/1572609/%E0%A6%8F%E0%A6%95-%E0%A6%A6%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B0-%E0%A6%89%E0%A7%8E%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%9F%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%9C%E0%A6%AE%E0%A6%B2-%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BE.