VCE Overpressure Prediction Using Empirical Methods
- 252 Downloads
In this chapter, three of the most popular empirical load prediction models, i.e., TNT equivalency model, TNO Multi-Energy model and Baker–Strehlow–Tang model, are introduced. The mechanism of each method is explained in detail for reader’s reference. DNV PHAST also introduced and used for modelling. Three application examples of real gas explosion accidents are presented. The explosion events are simulated and analysed by using DNV PHAST.
- Caixin. (2015). Fujian Gulei explosion. http://photos.caixin.com/2015-04-07/100797810_1.html.
- DailyMail. (2014). Taiwan port city left devastated after ‘sewage system gas leak’ explosions killed 25 people, destroying buildings and roads. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2713259/Five-massive-explosions-caused-gas-leak-sewage-kill-25-injure-hundreds-rip-port-city-Taiwan.html.
- DNV GL. (2016). PHAST tutorial manual. London, UK: DNV GL software.Google Scholar
- Kingery, C. N., & Pannill, B. F. (1964). Peak overpressure vs scaled distance for TNT surface bursts (hemispherical charges) (No. BRL-MR-1518). ARMY BALLISTIC RESEARCH LAB ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND MD.Google Scholar
- LLG. (2015). Causes of Texas oil and gas refinery explosions. https://liggettlawgroup.com/blog/causes-of-texas-oil-and-gas-refinery-explosions/.
- Lobato, J., Rodríguez, J., Jiménez, C., Llanos, J., Nieto-Márquez, A., & Inarejos, A. (2009). Consequence analysis of an explosion by simple models: Texas refinery gasoline explosion case. Afinidad, 66(543), 372–279.Google Scholar
- Mannan, S. (2012). Lees’ Loss prevention in the process industries: Hazard identification, assessment and control. Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2010). BP plans to close its US safety watchdog. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/10/bp-us-safety-ombudsman-closure.
- The Wall Street Journal. (2014). Deadly gas-pipeline explosions rock Taiwan. https://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-explosions-in-taiwan-kill-at-least-25-1406893177.
- Van den Bosch, C. J. H., & Weterings, R. A. P. M. (Eds.). (2005). Methods for the calculation of physical effects: Due to releases of hazardous materials, liquids and gases: Yellow Book. Ministerie van Volkshuisvesting en Ruimtelijke Ordening (VROM). Google Scholar