- 240 Downloads
This chapter is an introductory section which gives the background for the researches in this book. Several disastrous explosion events from various types of oil and gas facilities are discussed. Vapour cloud explosion (VCE) is defined and the basic VCE mechanisms, such as cloud formation, ignition, deformation and detonation are described. In addition, facility conditions and several overpressure predication methods are briefly introduced.
- ARIA Technologies. (2007). Explosion of hydrocarbons in an urban sewerage network, April 22nd, 1992, Guadalajara, Mexico. Boulogne-Billancourt, France.Google Scholar
- Arntzen, B. J. (1998). Modelling of turbulence and combustion for simulation of gas explosions in complex geometries.Google Scholar
- Asumadu-Sarkodie, S., Owusu, P. A., & Rufangura, P. (2015). Impact analysis of flood in Accra, Ghana. Advances in Applied Science Research, 6(9), 53–78.Google Scholar
- Bakke, J. R., & Hjertager, B. H. (1986). Quasi-laminar/turbulent combustion modelling, real cloud generation and boundary conditions in the FLACS-ICE code, CMI No. 865402–2, 1986.Google Scholar
- Bella Naija. (2015). Explosion at petrol station in Ghana leaves scores dead. https://www.bellanaija.com/2015/06/explosion-at-petrol-station-in-ghana-leaves-scores-dead/.
- Bjorkhaug, M. (1986). Flame acceleration in obstructed radial geometries. City University.Google Scholar
- Broadcast Greenlight. (2013). Fire in the night. http://greenlight.broadcastnow.co.uk/greenlights/5548-fire-in-the-night.
- BP. (2017). BP statistical review of world energy June 2017. https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/en/corporate/pdf/energy-economics/statistical-review-2017/bp-statistical-review-of-world-energy-2017-full-report.pdf.
- CSB. (2005). Investigation report—Refinery explosion and fire. Us Chemical Safety And Hazard Investigation Board, Report No. 2005-04-I-TX.Google Scholar
- CSB. (2014). Investigation report overview—Explosion and fire at the Macondo Well. US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, Vol. 1, Report no. 2010-10-I-OS.Google Scholar
- DNV GL. (2016). PHAST tutorial manual. DNV GL software, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Hjertager, B. H. (1986). Three-dimensional modeling of flow, heat transfer, and combustion. In Handbook of heat and mass transfer (Vol. 1, pp. 1303–1350).Google Scholar
- Kuchta, J. M. (1985). Investigation of fire and explosion Accidents in the chemical, mining, and fuel-related industries—A manual. Bulletin/U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines; Superintendent of Documents. no.: 128.3:680.Google Scholar
- Lea, C. J. (2002). A review of the state-of-the-art in gas explosion modelling. Buxton: Health & Safety Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Li, J., Ma, G., Abdel-jawad, M., & Huang, Y. (2016). Gas dispersion risk analysis of safety gap effect on the innovating FLNG vessel with a cylindrical platform. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 40, 304–316.Google Scholar
- Li, J., Ma, G., Hao, H., & Huang, Y. (2016). Gas explosion analysis of safety gap effect on the innovating FLNG vessel with a cylindrical platform. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 44, 263–274.Google Scholar
- Mannan, S. (2012). Lees’ Loss prevention in the process industries: Hazard identification, assessment and control. Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Mega. (2014). Taiwan gas pipeline blasts kill 25, injures 267. https://business.mega.mu/2014/08/02/taiwan-gas-pipeline-blasts-kill-25-injures-267/.
- Mercx, W. P. M., & Vandenberg, A. C. (2005). Chapter 5: Vapour cloud explosion. In TNO Yellow Book: Methods for the calculation of physical effects due to releases of hazardous materials (2nd ed.). Rijswijk, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Na’inna, A. M., Phylaktou, H. N., & Andrews, G. E. (2013). The acceleration of flames in tube explosions with two obstacles as a function of the obstacle separation distance. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 26(6), 1597–1603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2013.08.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Patecornell, M. E. (1993). Learning from the Piper Alpha accident—A postmortem analysis of technical and organizational-factors. Risk Analysis, 13(2), 215–232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.1993.tb01071.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shi, Y., Li, Z., & Hao, H. (2009). Numerical investigation of blast loads on RC slabs from internal explosion. Paper presented at the international workshop on structures response to impact and blast conference, Israel.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2010). BP plans to close its US safety watchdog. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/10/bp-us-safety-ombudsman-closure.
- The Telegraph. (2015). BP oil spill: Five years after ‘worst environmental disaster’ in US history, how bad was it really? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11546654/BP-oil-spill-Five-years-after-worst-environmental-disaster-in-US-history-how-bad-was-it-really.html.
- Vertigo Politico. (2015). Explosiones de Guadalajara, a 23 años de la tragedia. http://www.vertigopolitico.com/articulo/31681/Explosiones-de-Guadalajara-a-23-anos-de-la-.
- Yet-Pole, I., Shu, C. M., & Chong, C. H. (2009). Applications of 3D QRA technique to the fire/explosion simulation and hazard mitigation within a naphtha-cracking plant. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 22(4), 506–515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2009.04.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar