The US’ Indo-Pacific Initiative and Its Impact on China
- 196 Downloads
Since President Trump took office, the term of “Indo-Pacific” has evolved from a mere geographical and geopolitical concept to a policy initiative. The Indo-Pacific Initiative calls for a closer economic, cultural and strategic links between the Asia-Pacific region and the Indian Ocean region. It is claimed that this new initiative, based on the rapid progress of regional integration in the Indo-Pacific area, reflects the overall aspirations of the countries in the area. In fact, it is intended by the US and its western partners to counterbalance the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road initiative put forward by the Chinese government. Behind this new initiative is the Cold War mentality, which has proved to be against the overall trend of current world development. The impact of the Indo-Pacific Initiative on China is multi-faceted. As a positive effect, the new initiative helps to confirm that China’s presence in the Indian Ocean region is lawful and legitimate. As such, China, while disproving the Cold War mentality of containment, can take this chance to enhance its presence in the Indian Ocean region by engaging more actively in the regional affairs under the framework of the Indo-Pacific Initiative.
KeywordsThe Indo-Pacific The US The PRC
- Nick Bisley, La Trobe University, and Andrew Phillips, UQ. 2012. “The Indo-Pacific: What Does it Actually Mean?”, 6 October 2012. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/10/06/the-indo-pacific-what-does-it-actually-mean/. Access at 12 Apr 2018.
- Clinton, Hillary. 2010. “American’s Engagement in the Asia-Pacific”, 28 October 2010. http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2010/10/150141.html.
- Clinton, Hillary. 2011. “American’s Pacific Century”. Foreign Policy, November, pp. 62–63.Google Scholar
- Cronin, Patrick M. 2017. “Trump’s Post-Pivot Strategy: Trump’s Indo-Pacific Dream Focuses on Reciprocity, as well as Economic and Military Security”, 11 November 2017.Google Scholar
- Doshi, Rush. 2017. “Trump’s ‘Indo-Pacific Dream’ Stumbles—But China Alone Won’t Fill the Void”, 15 November 2017. https://warontherocks.com/2017/11/trumps-indo-pacific-dream-stumbles-china-alone-wont-fill-void/.
- Editorial Board, East Asia Forum. 2018. “Sorting Out Strategic Confusion in the Indo-Pacific”, 28 January 2018. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2018/01/29/sorting-out-strategic-confusion-in-the-indo-pacific/.
- Haushofer, Ernst. 2002. Geopolitics of the Pacific Ocean (p. 141). Lampeter: Edwin Mellor.Google Scholar
- Kissinger, Henry A. 2018. “Opening statement”, Before the Senate Armed Services Committee, 25 January 2018.Google Scholar
- Mattis, Jim. 2017. “Remarks by Secretary Mattis at Shangri-La Dialogue”, 3 June 2017. https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript-View/Article/1201780/remarks-by-secretary-mattis-at-shangri-la-dialogue/. Access at 17 Nov 2017.
- Medcalf, R., R. Heinrichs, and J. Jones. 2011. Crisis and Confidence: Major Powers and Maritime Security in Indo-Pacific Asia, 56. Sydney: Lowy. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/publications/crisis-and-confidence-major-powers-and-maritime-security-indo-pacific-asia. Access at 5 Apr 2018.
- Medcalf, Rory. 2012. “A Term Whose Time Has Come: The Indo-Pacific”, 4 December, 2012 https://thediplomat.com/2012/12/a-term-whose-time-has-come-the-indo-pacific/. Access at 17 Nov 2017.
- Mohan, C. Raja. 2011. “India and Australia: Maritime Partners in the Indo-Pacific”. The Asialink Essays 3 (7): 1–4.Google Scholar
- Nehru, Vikram. 2013. “The Rebalance to Asia: Why South Asia Matters”. In: Testimony Before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific, 13 March 2013.Google Scholar
- PTI. 2017. “Donald Trump’s China Visit: US Defends ‘Indo-Pacific’ Concept”, 8 November 2017. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/61564716.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst. Access at 17 Nov 2017.
- Parameswaran, Prashanth. 2017. “Trump’s Indo-Pacific Strategy Challenge: A Look Ahead at the Administration’s Early Regional Vision and the Challenges Before It”, 27 October 2017.Google Scholar
- Qu, Caiyun. 2016. “Exploring the Formation of the Strategic Cooperation Among Japan, the United States, Australia and India and the Game of Check and Balance”. Journal of Liaoning University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Version) 44 (1) (January): 168.Google Scholar
- Rumley, Dennis (ed.). 2013. “The Indian Ocean Region: Security, Stability and Sustainability in the 21st Century”, p. 33. http://www.aiidelhi.com/source/public/img/publication/IndianOceanSecurityTaskforceWeb.pdf. Access at 2 Apr 2018.
- Swaine, Michael D. 2018. “Creating an Unstable Asia: The U.S. “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” Strategy”. Foreign Affairs, March 2.Google Scholar
- The White House. 2017. “President Trump’s Trip to Asia”, 3 November 2017. https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2017/11/03/president-trump-trip-to-asia. Access at 17 Nov 2017.
- Tiezzi, Shannon. 2017. “In Japan, Trump and Abe Offer Alternative to China’s ‘Belt and Road’”. The Diplomat, November 8. Access at 3 Apr 2018.Google Scholar
- Tillerson, Rex. 2017. “Defining Our Relationship with India for the Next Century: An Address by U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson”, 18 October 2018. https://www.csis.org/analysis/defining-our-relationship-india-next-century-address-us-secretary-state-rex-tillerson. Access at 3 Apr 2018.
- Tyler, Melissa Conley, and Samantha Shearman. 2013. “Australia’s New Region: The Indo-Pacific”, May 21. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2013/05/21/australias-new-region-the-indo-pacific/. Access at 12 Apr 2018.
- Wei, Zongyou. 2013. “The Strategic Adjustment of the United States in the Indo-Pacific Region and Its Geostrategic Impact”. World Economics and Politics (10).Google Scholar
- Yun, Joseph. 2013. “The Rebalance to Asia: Why South Asia Matters (Part 1)”. In: Testimony Before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific, 26 February 2013.Google Scholar
- Zhao, Qinghai. 2013. “The “Indo-Pacific” Concept and its Implications for China”. Contemporary International Relations (7).Google Scholar