- 341 Downloads
The first chapter argued for the educational significance of the emerging construct of adaptive teaching for student critical and creative thinking. A conceptual model of teacher adaptive practices for student critical and creative thinking is presented at the beginning of this chapter. Next, the research constructs that constitute the personal, environmental and behavioural determinants of this model are critically examined. The outcome of this review is the hypothesis and research questions for this study.
KeywordsAdaptive Teaching Triadic Reciprocal Causation Determinants of Teacher Adaptive Practices
- Assessment Reform Group. (2002). Assessment for learning: 10 principles. London: Assessment Reform Group, Nuffield Foundation.Google Scholar
- Baard, P. P., Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2004). Intrinsic need satisfaction: A motivational basis of performance and weil-being in two work settings. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34(10), 2045–2068. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02690.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman.Google Scholar
- Beghetto, R. A. (2017). Inviting uncertainty into the classroom. Educational Leadership, 75(2), 20–25.Google Scholar
- Bergeron, P.-J., & Rivard, L. (2017). How to engage in pseudoscience with real data: A criticism of John Hattie’s arguments in visible learning from the perspective of a statistician. McGill Journal of Education/Revue des sciences de l’éducation de McGill, 52(1) 237–246. Google Scholar
- Claxton, G., & Lucas, B. (2016). Educating Ruby: What our children really need to learn. London: Crown House.Google Scholar
- Collie, R. J., & Martin, A. J. (2017). Teachers’ sense of adaptability: Examining links with perceived autonomy support, teachers’ psychological functioning, and students’ numeracy achievement. Learning and Individual Differences, 55, 29–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2017.03.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Collie, R. J., Shapka, J. D., Perry, N. E., & Martin, A. J. (2016). Teachers’ psychological functioning in the workplace: Exploring the roles of contextual beliefs, need satisfaction, and personal characteristics. Journal of Educational Psychology, 108(6), 788–799. https://doi.org/10.1037/edu0000088.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2002). Handbook of self-determination research. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press.Google Scholar
- Dunn, K. E., & Mulvenon, S. W. (2009). A critical review of research on formative assessments: The limited scientific evidence of the impact of formative assessments in education. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 14(7), 1–11.Google Scholar
- Filsecker, M., & Kerres, M. (2012). Repositioning formative assessment from an educational assessment perspective: A response to Dunn & Mulvenon (2009). Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 17(16).Google Scholar
- Goss, P. (2017). Towards an adaptive education system in Australia. Melbourne: Grattan Institute.Google Scholar
- Hattie, J. (2011). Visible learning for teachers: Maximising impact on learning. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Lucas, B., Claxton, G., & Spencer, E. (2013). Progression in student creativity in schools: First steps towards new forms of formative assessments. OECD: OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/5k4dp59msdwk-en.
- Maddux, J. E., & Gosselin, J. T. (2012). Self-eficacy. In M. R. Leary & J. P. Tangney (Eds.), Handbook of self and identity. (2nd ed., pp. 198–224). New York: The Guildford Press.Google Scholar
- National Education Association. (2010). Preparing twenty-first century students for a global society: An educator’s guide to the “four Cs.”.. Retrieved from http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/A-Guide-to-Four-Cs.pdf.
- Parsons, S. A., Vaughn, M., Scales, R. Q., Gallagher, M. A., Parsons, A. W., Davis, S. G., … Allen, M. (2017). Teachers’ instructional adaptations: A research synthesis. Review of Educational Research, 0(0), 0034654317743198. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654317743198.
- Vaughn, M., Parsons, S. A., Burrowbridge, S. C., Weesner, J., & Taylor, L. (2016). In their own words: Teachers’ reflections on adaptability. Theory into Practice, 259–266. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405841.2016.1173993.
- Webfinance Inc. (2018). Business Dictionary. Adaptability. Retrieved from http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/adaptability.html.
- Wiliam, D. (2002). Embedded formative assessment. Bloomington: Solution Tree Press.Google Scholar